Diagnosis

"We would have to ask Shane" Ricky chimed in after Ryan's answer. სიყვარული was used sparingly because it meant a lot to demons. Ryan bit his tongue, wanting to argue but knowing it would do him no good. Now he was finally starting to realize what was happening. Before he was running completely on adrenaline and his vision was zeroed in on helping Shane, but now the dust was settling. 

"Yes, I suppose so" Rose responded calmly with a small smile on her face, knowing she was stirring the pot. She kept a close eye on Ryan, fascinated by him. It had been years since she saw a living human soul, and she didn't realize just how much she missed it. 

"Ask me what?" Shane said, appearing in the doorway. he was still in his demon form, his horns looming over his figure and his wings strengthening his presence. After seeing him in such a weak state, his current form looked surprisingly strong. 

"Shane? you're supposed to be asleep! The medicine I gave you should have at least knocked you out for a few hours" Rose exclaimed. He had always been a peculiar specimen and this time was no different. She always got a kick out of watching Ricky and Shane's shenanigans, she just wished they would've come at a more appropriate time. Rose had to admit, Ricky's threat had chills down her spine. It had been years since anyone saw that side of him.

Shane responded with shrug and slowly returned to his human form. he glanced around the room, still feeling slightly nauseous but it was nothing compared to the pain earlier. It was weird to be sick, he hadn't fallen ill since he was very young so the feeling was unnatural. But it was different.

If there was one thing Shane was always looking for, it was new experiences. Feeling like this wasn't pleasant in the slightest, but it was new. He drew in a long, freeing breath and took a seat between Ryan and Ricky. The tension in the room was palpable yet no one said anything for a few seconds. They expected more of an explanation from Shane but he offered nothing. Instead, he prepared himself for the inevitable lecture he was going to get from both Ricky and Ryan, maybe even Rose if he was unlucky enough.

"You should really be resting" Rose reminded him, but it didn't sound like she had any intention of pushing the subject further. Ryan looked up at Shane with a stern expression, a million words wanting to flow out of his mouth. He held back, for the time being, hoping his expression would convey enough emotion. 

"Don't give me that look, Ry" Shane sighed, unable to meet his eyes. The guilt of breaking one of their rules was weighing on him enough already. He lied for a good reason, but that didn't erase the fact he was untruthful. 

"Tell me more about how long this has been going on" Rose ordered while taking another sip. Ryan looked down at his own cup as he wrestled with his thoughts. He felt betrayed, hurt and confused, all rolled into one. Yet at the same time, he was just relieved Shane was doing better. 

"Yes, please do" Ryan tacked on while glaring up at Shane. He really didn't like that Shane was keeping secrets from him.

Ricky laughed. "Someone's in trouble"

"It's just been some nosebleeds and headaches, I didn't think it was any serious" Shane mumbled while rolling his eyes. Their clothes were still soaking so he was trying to speed through this conversation so they could go home. 

Rose nodded along with Shane's story, not completely believing it. She had seen an illness like his hundreds of years ago, but she didn't think it was possible for him to have the same illness. Although, the cases were eerily similar...

She sighed, unable to keep up with all of it. Rose wasn't prepared to be making diagnoses right now which is why she insisted on coming later in the day. Of course, Ricky was as restless as ever and couldn't be patient. 

Although, she did blame herself slightly for not seeing that coming. Besides the timing, it was awful that they would show up at her house. Ghosts hated demons, and they have for many years. Mix that hatred in with Ricky's short temper and Shane's power... it was a recipe for disaster. 

"Tell me, have you spent a lot of time in the overworld?" Rose asked after a while. In the few moments she had been silent the three had already started bickering. Something about Shane lying, something about Ricky being overbearing, it all flew over her head. Strangely enough, Ryan still onto Shane's arm affectionately despite the argument they were in. 

"Yes, he has" Ricky spat out. Ryan's clinginess to Shane only made his temper worse. He knew he couldn't say anything about it, though which angered him further. 

"Mm," Rose nodded with a small smile. "Then I know exactly what's wrong" 

They all stopped fighting and turned to listen to Rose. She already had an answer? Ryan now understood why Ricky put so much trust in her expertise. 

"He's having withdrawals from the overworld," She said with great pride. "The only cure is returning"

"Haha!" Shane said, turning to Ricky. It was a small triumph, but it felt good to win one. 

"If you left when I told you to this would never have happened" Ricky argued back, his anger rising alongside his voice. No, this couldn't be happening. Shane was going back? He had to find some way to keep him here, there had to be something. His mind ran in circles trying to find a reason, trying to find an excuse. 

"Does that mean we can go home?" Ryan asked, putting his hand on Shane's arm. Shane glared at Ricky then turned back to Ryan with a gentle smile, the juxtaposition obvious. Ricky stared with pure anger as he worked his way through a plan. He feared if he let Shane go up there again, he might not come back. 

That's when he remembered the deal with Robert. he let out a silent sigh of relief. Maybe signing that contract wasn't a bad idea after all. Still, it was only a temporary fix because in only a month Shane's contract would be up and he would be free to live in the overworld forever. Ricky knew he couldn't let that happen. 

"Exactly" Shane responded, beaming. Ryan smiled back up at him and let out a sigh of relief. Everything was going to be ok now.

"But you'll have to come down here every day for a month" Ricky reminded everyone, trying to hide the creeping grin that pulled at his lips. 

"Only a month? He should survive that" Rose nodded. "But after that, he'll have to make a choice. Stay in the living world, or return to Hell" She said it so calmly, Shane didn't realize the weight of the decision until a few seconds later.

Ryan covered his mouth with his shaking hand, unable to grasp the situation. From the moment he met Shane he knew there were going to be obstacles. but he also knew that he loved Shane at the same time. The fate of their relationship laid in Shane's lap, and all Ryan could do was hope. Hope that Shane would stay with him. 

It was selfish, he was fully aware of that, but the mere thought of not having Shane by his side was enough for him to abandon that notion. He wasn't going to just let Ricky win. He promised himself that he would fight with everything he had to keep Shane. 

Everyone's eyes lingered on Shane, half expecting him to make a decision right then and there.

"Um" Shane began, still shellshocked by the sudden life-changing choice that had been laid out in front of him. "We'll see..?" He offered. 

Ryan looked down feeling slightly dejected, but overall he understood. Part of him was hoping Shane would choose him without a doubt, but that was simply wishful thinking. 

Rose stifled a quiet laugh at the situation. She had seen plenty of strange predicaments but took the cake by far. 

"It was lovely having you," She said, with a warm smile. "Now get the hell out of my house"