I'm Such a Fool

"He was crying, wasn't he?" Ricky asked as soon as Shane was out of earshot. Ryan wasn't sure how to answer, so he remained silent. It was only a matter of time before Ricky would have to leave and Ryan started counting the seconds. It was getting harder every day to play nice as his frustration with the man was growing exponentially. 

The more he heard about Ricky, the lower his opinion was of him. Ricky had never treated Shane well, even when they were younger. It was obvious to Ryan that their friendship was toxic but he also knew that Shane wouldn't believe him. 

Despite his lack of an answer, Ricky knew it was true. He gritted his teeth in anger and disbelief. Shane wasn't an emotional person in the slightest, so something really bad must have happened. Being left in the dark about any part of Shane's life was unacceptable to him. The anger took root as they each sat in quiet contemplation. 

"I don't understand why he would want to stay up here" Ricky commented accompanied by a forced laugh. He had no reason to even try to be civil anymore, so why not have some fun? He shifted uncomfortably, not used to staying in a human form for this long. 

Ryan's eyes darkened but he wasn't going to give Ricky the satisfaction of an argument. "Ask him"

Ricky gave him a rueful glare after not taking the obvious bait, but then he adopted an expression of indifference. He had to remind himself that Ryan was just a simple human. An annoying pest, yes, but nothing more. 

"Maybe I will" Ricky bit back. "but it doesn't really matter anyway, since he'll be staying in Hell"

Ryan scoffed. "No, he won't" 

"Your confident" Ricky laughed. "What makes you so sure?" 

"He really likes it up here, actually" Ryan explained with a small smile. How could you not? Ryan had seen Hell, it was exactly a great place. He glanced towards the kitchen and prayed for Shane to return quickly. 

"No he doesn't," Ricky said confidently while shaking his head. "Up here he's no one. Do you really think Shane would prefer to live in this one bedroom over his house in Hell? Do you genuinely think he wants to leave all of his friends and family to stay with a casual boyfriend he met less than a year ago?" 

Ryan attempted not to flinch at the harsh words but had trouble masking his annoyance.

Ricky continued, unable to stop even if he wanted to try. He leaned forward and lowered his voice so Ryan could tell how much he meant these next few words. "You need him more than he needs you"

Ryan now understood why people called the evil voice in your head a demon. Somehow Ricky was able to manifest Ryan's anxieties and put them into blunt words. His dark brown eyes glimmered with pride when he saw that his words had made Ryan think. This was a victory. 

Shane came back in with three coffee cups, but Ricky and Ryan's eyes lingered on each other for a few moments longer. 

You need him more than he needs you

The words rattled throughout his head and tarnished the previous hope he had. The anxiety was lessened as Shane next to him and placed his hand on Ryan's lap, but he couldn't stop his head from reeling. Shane could feel the tense energy as soon as he stepped into the living room. All he could do was hope Ricky wasn't being too nasty.

"You were crying" Ricky returned to the original conversation topic, acting as if nothing happened. 

"Yeah? So?" Shane responded. It turned out to be harder to hide that than he thought. On the other hand, it was Ricky and he knew everything about Shane. 

"So? You never cry. What's wrong?" Ricky thought back to all the times Shane had actually cried and could only recall 3 times. It wasn't that much of an exaggeration to say he never cried. 

Shane tensed slightly and took a sip of the coffee to avoid responding for a few moments. "Nothing, everything is-"

"If you tell me everything is fine, I'm going to kill you" Ricky threatened. Shane had gotten into the habit of brushing off his own worries and it was endlessly aggravating to put up with. 

"You don't have anything to worry about" Shane quipped with a small smirk. There was a small sense of kinship between them after falling back into their familiar repour. But that was quickly squandered when Shane remembered that Ricky was here to try and literally drag him back to Hell. 

Ricky was about to scold Shane for being so difficult, but something caught his eye. There was a mark on Ryan's neck now that was radiating powerful energy. He eyed it suspiciously for a few moments before he connected the dots. Fuck

"Shane," He said with wide eyes. "You didn't... you didn't claim him did you?" not even Shane would be reckless enough to make such a stupid decision. That meant Ryan could summon Shane whenever he needed. 

Shane put his arm around Ryan's shoulders and took another sip. He was still using the coffee as a crutch to make the time go by faster. He just wanted Ricky's visit to end already. The guilt was definitely still there, but he was more annoyed with Ricky than anything. 

"I did" He admitted, avoiding eye contact with Ricky. 

"Jesus, Shane, are you crazy? we're going to have to find a way to get it off which will be a pain in the ass-"

"Who said I wanted to remove it?" Ryan chimed in, a challenging look on his face. He had to remind himself at the end of the day, he trusted Shane's words over Ricky's. All the doubt Ricky could place in his mind couldn't be taken seriously. 

Ricky scowled at Ryan and only talked to Shane. "I know someone who can remove it"

"You heard Ryan," Shane said. "It's fine"

"He can summon you whenever he wants" Ricky reminded Shane.

"Oh I forgot about that" Instead of being weirded out by that, Shane smiled. "Cool"

Ryan and Shane laughed along with each other. Ricky was not amused. 

Ricky sighed. "Whatever, ill just wait until you realize you don't actually want this" Shane's expression soured. "Either way, you have to come into work today"

Ricky was trying his best not to glower at the small X on Ryan's neck. To make a claim on humans, you needed to have the overwhelming desire to be bonded to them. Especially considering Shane's level he must have really wanted to be with Ryan. That meant more than any words ever could. Ryan didn't understand the magnitude of the situation but Ricky knew exactly what this meant. Convincing Shane to stay in Hell was going to be an uphill battle. 

Shane looked between Ricky and Ryan. "I'm not coming in, it's my day off" Ryan tried not to let the smile that was forcing the edges of lips up to show. He won this round. 

Ricky huffed out in annoyance and started to formulate a rebuttal, but was cut off by Shane. 

"You should probably go" Shane insisted, glancing at Ricky's empty coffee cup. 

Ricky looked up to Shane in confusion and set the cup to the side. "Why are you acting like this? Your treating me like I'm an obligation" 

"Ricky, that's not-" Shane started, instantly feeling like a horrible person. Ricky was just trying to be friendly.

"No, I get it" Ricky spat out, standing up and making his way for the door. "You have him now, you don't need me" 

"That's not what I'm saying" Shane got up and followed Ricky, leaving Ryan alone in the apartment. 

Ryan gritted his teeth in frustration. He didn't follow them because he already knew how the situation was going to play out. It was so blatant that Ricky was just trying to guilt Shane into coming into work by accusing Shane of not caring about him anymore. Knowing Shane, it was safe to assume he would give in.