Backstory

"Alright, now try again" Ricky instructed, keeping an eye on Ryan's formation to make sure he was doing everything properly. Ryan went to hit Ricky again, this time a little harder now that he had confirmation that the blow wouldn't hurt Ricky. The breeze blew more wildly, a storm was coming soon. The air smelled damp and clouds started to form in the sky. This raised a million questions about how rain worked in Hell but Ryan kept his focus on the task at hand.

"There ya go!" Ricky said, accompanied by applause. It had been quite some time since Ricky had gotten to properly tutor someone. The last person was Shane, and obviously, it had been a few years. To this day it still pissed him off that Shane always won. It was a classic 'the student becomes the master' situation.

"Thanks?" Ryan responded, once again caught off guard by yet another shift in Ricky's demeanor. Oddly, Ricky seemed just as confused by it.

"Stand like this" Ricky continued, his tone much colder after realizing he had accidentally given Ryan praise. He spread his legs apart and put his left foot forward.

Ryan followed his direction and listen to Ricky lecturing him about how to put force behind a hit. He seemed to be quite knowledgeable on the subject which Ryan back to his original question. Why were they doing this?

They practiced for about 30 minutes, Ryan making progress much faster than Ricky anticipated. They ran the same routine over and over until Ricky was satisfied it was absolutely perfect.

"Now let's run through it one more time" Ricky said, immediately throwing a punch. Ryan blocked quickly with his forearm, just how Ricky taught him. While he was distracted with that, Ryan was able to land a quick hit to his abdomen, but Ricky hooked his arm around Ryans before it was able to take full effect. 

Ryan let out a quick curse out of frustration and took a step back. He thought that would mean Ricky would back off, but instead, he darted forward. Ryan threw up his hands again and braced for the impact.

"I don't think you taught me this part" His voice sounded strained as most of his power was going into holding Ricky back. His foot was planted firmly so he could stand his ground but the pressure only increased. 

"Rule 1, your opponent is never going to do what you expect them to" Ricky said with a small smile on his face. Ryan grunted and pushed Ricky back, he stumbled slightly but was running towards him seconds later. Ryan tried to duck when Ricky came back, but he wasn't fast enough. Ricky tackled him to the ground, Ryan's chest slamming onto the grass. Ricky's knee dug into his back as he restained Ryan's hands. 

"Alright, alright, you win" Ryan coughed out, trying to free himself from Ricky's tight grip. He instantly released Ryan and got off his back. 

"Shit, I didn't mean to got that far" Ricky said as a form of apology. He knew Shane would kill him if Ryan actually got hurt. He could already hear the lecture now.

"Are you kidding? That was great!" Ryan laughed out, taking the hand Ricky offered to help him up with. He got up and shook off the slight pain in his back, an amused smile still on his face. Ricky watched the peculiar human with reluctant intrigue.

"You're starting to sound like Shane" Ricky started walking towards the house again with Ryan at his heels. The statement was growing more true by the day and it showed no sign of stopping. 

Ryan opened his mouth to say something but closed it. He never knew when Ricky was in a talkative mood or in an insulting mood and he didn't want to risk it right now. He absentmindedly wiped the sweat from his brow and took a breath in. His back still hurt from the earlier impact, but it was nothing more than a small nuisance. 

He thought to that look in Ricky's eyes as he helped him up. Usually, Ricky had a blank or even slightly annoyed expression, but this time he was much softer. Ryan took the small victory and celebrated it silently. By everyone else's account, Ricky almost never talked to anyone besides Shane, and if he did it was seldom a friendly interaction. 

Ricky open the door and made a beeline for the kitchen, where Shane and Sara were standing. Shane was leaning against a counter and Sara had a cup of coffee in her hands. Shane had his arms crossed defensively and Sara seemed to be getting increasingly annoyed.

"What do you mean you don't know what I'm talking about?" She asked with exasperation, one hand on her hip. It was evident that he trying to get an answer out of him for quite some time and was growing frustrated due to the lack of progress. 

Shane returned with a simple shrug and then shifted to look at Ryan. His blank looked instantly changed when he met Ryan's eyes. Ryan grinned back at Shane's excitement and forgot all about Sara and Ricky. 

"Look who's finally back" He said with a gentle smile. Ryan went to his side and put his arms around Shane's waist. Shane put his arms around Ryan's neck and they settled into an embrace. "What did you two get up to?" he said before kissing the top of Ryan's head.

"Nothing" Ricky responded for him, not making eye contact with Shane. He awkwardly took his place by Sara's side and could see the aggravation emanating off of her. It seems like Shane's notorious stubbornness was taking effect.

Shane narrowed his eyes. "That sounds suspicious"

"Hey!" Sara snapped to get Shane's attention. "You aren't answering my question"

"What was it again?" Shane asked through gritted teeth. He was not amused by the line of questioning she had decided to go down. His suspicions of her had only grown since Ryan and Ricky had left. She pressured him to talk about the illness for a few minutes but quickly gave in. For about 30 minutes she had been trying to bring up his past in casual conversation but once again her endeavors weren't yielding any results.   

"What happened between you and Lady Trix?" She was fuming at this point. Ricky froze and his eyes went wide. He knew better than anyone that Shane absolutely refused to talk about that. Ricky had only heard Shane tell the story once, and since then his lips had been sealed.

"I have no idea what you're talking about" Shane repeated for what felt like the hundredth time. Sara sighed heavily and took a sip of coffee. Ryan looked up at him with a million questions. 

"Who's that?" He asked, looking from Shane to Ricky. Ricky was still shocked by Sara's boldness and couldn't provide an answer. 

"She's-" Sara began.

"No one" Ricky interrupted. "She's no one" he took Sara's wrist and pulled her out of the room. Shane still had a blank, if not slightly amused look on his face. Once they were gone Ryan looked back up at Shane.

"What was that all about?" Ryan asked. Shane ruffled his hair playfully but didn't answer the question.

"If we go home now, we could make it to the office and not be that late" Shane blurted out before his mind could fully process what he saying. He just wanted to go back to the human world already and that seemed like the most logical way to convince Ryan to come home. 

Much to Shane's dismay, Ryan shook his head. "We still have to wait for the doctor to look at your concussion" Ryan said, looking up at Shane with full, worried eyes. 

"I'm fine" Shane repeated with an eye roll.