Part 69

Ryan stared down at his lap and let the tears fall. He just wanted things to be simple. He just wanted to be happy. He was in a constant battle with Ricky to win Shane, and it wasn't fair. They were already dating, he shouldn't have to compete with other people. 

He took a shaky breath and wiped his tears. He knew what he wanted was Shane, and there was only one real obstacle in their way. It wasn't Ricky, but Shane's denial about how toxic he is. 

Ryan knew what it was like to fall into a familiar routine with someone to the point you'll take just about anything. Ellie had been the same way and Ryan knew how freeing it felt when he was finally away from her. Once Shane realized what was best for him, they couldn't be happy. Until then they would be worlds apart. 

He understood that Shane's heart was in the right place, but it still stung everything he looked at that portal. Every time he called Hell his home or laughed at Ricky's jokes it made him more anxious about the upcoming decision. Telling Shane not to come home tonight certainly wasn't getting him any favoritism. 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Shane eyed the restaurant suspiciously. Why would Ricky take him here? He watched as Ricky lead them to a table near the jukebox. It was where they always used to sit back in the day. He reminisced about a time where all he had to worry about was homework and not interdimensional diseases. 

Ricky noticed the glimmer in Shane's eyes as he looked across the diner and smiled. His plan was working so far, now all he needed to do was keep it up. They sat across from each other and picked up the menus even though they already knew what they were going to get. 

"Shane, you're still in your human form" Ricky reminded him without looking up from the menu. They were getting a few odd stares, but Shane paid them no mind. 

He shrugged. "It's more comfortable like this"

"I will never understand you" Ricky laughed. He thought back to how weird it felt not to have wings or horns, it threw everything off balance. They sat in comfortable silence until the waitress came up to take their order.

"-He'll have an omelet" Ricky finished the order with, not waiting for Shane to give his input. When the waitress left, Ricky leaned forward and looked at Shane. His hair was slightly messy because he hadn't planned on leaving the house today, and he was still fidgeting with that necklace. 

"So what's the assignment here?" Shane inquired, tapping the edge of his glass in silent contemplation. 

"In about 20 minutes a girl will walk here, she has some information on Tinsely for us" Ricky explained. His eyes were glued to Shane's every movement and felt lucky just to be sitting here with him. This was something special and he knew he couldn't let it go no matter what. Without Shane, he had nothing left. 

Shane nodded silently and looked across the diner at everyone. Many eyes were staring, but they quickly darted away when Shane started paying attention to them. Surely news of his return had spread already which explained why people were being so nosey. Celebrities worked differently in Hell, instead of admiring them, you feared them. 

Ricky sat back slightly, realizing they had an audience. His expression turned cold and glared at each person with a warning. This was the one thing he didn't miss about being back at work.

"How did the hit go yesterday?" Shane asked to fill the silence. In actuality, he knew exactly what happened from the report, but needed something to keep his mind off Ryan. 

"Great, I killed her in one shot" Ricky smiled as he reminisced on the kill. It seems like he hadn't gotten too rusty after all. "By the way, did you fire Freddy?"