Part 80

10 days. It had been 10 days since he last heard from Shane. The hours of the day dragged on, the time changing but his anxiety still standing throughout every moment. He went to work, he went home, he went to sleep. He thought about Shane. It was horrible how every moment without him dragged on for just a little bit too long. 

Steven asked a lot of questions, but he never had an answer to give him. Things were too complicated for even him to keep up with so he didn't bother keeping Steven updated. The nights he spent wide awake worrying about Shane were taking their toll on him, everyone could see it. 

On the tenth day, Shane finally arrived. A flurry of emotions flashed through his mind when he opened his apartment door to see Shane standing there. He was pissed that Shane didn't even bother to call, relieved that he was still alive, and hurt that he wasn't wearing the chain. 

Shane stood there in his human form and his work clothes, looking a little nervous but also excited. Ryan wouldn't let that detour his anger. 

"Where have you been?" Ryan asked with a heavy sigh. He looked up at Shane, begging for some type of explanation. 

Shane raised an eyebrow. "In Hell? Where else would I have been?" He joked to take the tension away. It wasn't working as well as he hoped it would. He bit his lip in preparation because he knew he was about to get scolded. 

Ryan rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Why were you gone for so long?" He wasn't in the mood for Shane's joking right now, even if it would make him feel better. He wanted an explanation over everything, was that really too much to ask?

Shane sighed, recognizing he couldn't talk his way out of this one. In actuality, he didn't plan on coming back for much longer. But he felt a longing in his heart to see Ryan again. Even being here right now was a huge risk, it was only a matter of time before Ricky would realize he was gone. 

"Sorry but I can't be here too much" Shane reminded him while looking around the apartment. It was a place he felt a strong sense of deja vu for, but he couldn't see why. The only time memories came back was when he was touching Ryan.  

Ryan shifted his gaze to the floor as he remembered that Ricky thought Shane had broken up with him. He wasn't sure how to feel about it, but he certainly didn't feel good. 

"Right, Ricky" Ryan responded, his name leaving a bad taste in his mouth. "You could've called"

"I'm with him 24/7, it's impossible to get a moment to myself" Shane explained. "But your right, I'll come by more often" he quickly added. He had to figure out a way to make that work... ever since this whole amnesia thing, Ricky has kept an incredibly close eye on Shane's every move. 

Ryan smiled at his response and nodded. "Thanks"

Shane took a seat on the couch and continued to look around the apartment. It was a place he had only seen in the few memories he had gained. Ryan followed suit and took his place next to Shane, putting a small buffer space between them. Shane hadn't stopped thinking about Ryan over the past 10 days, but now that he was so close he had no idea how to act. 

He felt like a little kid with a crush on a guy completely out of his league. Why was he so nervous?  

Ryan recognized the uncertainty and felt guilty about how things felt between them. The last time they saw each other was the day they watched the movie. Ryan had been so thankful Shane was alive that he was overly touchy, even though he knew Shane didn't remember him. 

Ellie's words started echoing through his head again. He was paranoid, possessive, and clingy. He was going to scare Shane away if he didn't hold back more. Shane could understand just how much Ryan loved him right now, so he had to hide it. 

Shane wasn't wearing the necklace, Ryan noticed. He didn't want to risk Ricky catching him.

"Apparently I work at Bite and Bark again," Shane said, not bothering to hide his disdain for the predicament. 

It was somewhat comforting to hear Shane's familiar complaints about work. "I hate it there too"

"I took you there?" Shane asked, surprised. Hell was inconceivably dangerous for humans, and even more so for living humans. 

Ryan nodded. "A few times, actually. It was disastrous" he thought back to hell and scrunched up his nose. 

"I can imagine," Shane said. There were so many things that could easily go wrong with having a living human in hell. "But tell me about it anyway" 

Ryan told Shane the stories about the past two months, happily reminiscing. He liked ignoring the outside world and just talking with Shane even if it was only for a little bit of time. 

When he ended with his arms around Ryan, Shane wasn't sure. It felt natural, even if logically he was trying to pull himself away. 

But why? 

His first thought went to betraying Ricky, but Shane knew he didn't care about that as much as he thought he would. Then his mind skipped to the thought that Ryan was basically a stranger. That was a subpar excuse too. Even if he couldn't remember Ryan he knew full well that he loved him. 

Giving in to his growing longing, Shane placed his hand on Ryan's cheek and looked into his brown eyes. It was familiar but new, and exhilarating. It was like he was the forbidden fruit that was just out of reach but with every passing moment, he was getting closer. 

Ryan looked up, suddenly extremely nervous. It had been a while since he and Shane were this close. He almost forgot how much he missed it. Most of all, he was relieved he didn't mess everything up. He was worried when Shane first arrived that they would be awkward with each other but it was easy to see they were falling back into their patterns. 

The old Shane was coming back, and alongside him was his desire. 

Memories flooded Shane's mind but he couldn't really make sense of them. They weren't his focus anyway, he wanted to make new memories. 

"...Shane?" Ryan breathed out, a shiver going down his spine as Shane glanced from his lips back to his eyes. The tension was so thick, he was almost begging for it to end. They were so close, just inches apart. He could smell Shane's cologne and feel his warmth, he just wanted to get closer. 

As if answering his question, Shane connected their lips. more images of his forgotten past forced their way into his mind. it was easily ignored as Ryan pulled Shane's hips closer to his. It had been so long they kissed, he realized. He needed more.

"Wait, Ryan," Shane said, breaking away suddenly but keeping his hand on the back of Ryan's head. 

"What?" Ryan asked, already breathless. he held onto Shane's waist tightly, thinking if he let ago Shane might leave again. 

"Is it true that we used to fight all the time?" Shane asked, his hands shaking slightly. He tried to control it, but there was a slur of emotions running through him. He knew he should now, go back to hell and ignore that this moment ever happened. A much stronger part of him wanted to ignore all his fears about Ryan and just kiss him. He chose the middle road. 

"What? No of course not" Ryan responded. He was going to ask who put that thought in his head, but it was obviously Ricky. He felt a flush of anger at the thought of Ricky taking advantage of Shane's memory loss. "We were- we are happy" 

"I knew it" Shane replied with a smile before reconnecting the kiss. It put his worries to rest, for now, although he still had a million questions. Right now he didn't really feel like talking, not when Ryan was pulling him closer. 

This felt different from everyone he'd ever kissed. He could feel Ryan's love for him, not just lust. Shane trailed his hands from the back of Ryan's head down to his chin and feeling down his neck, shaking slightly the whole time. This was completely surreal and wonderful, Shane could help but smile into the kiss. Every inch of Ryan felt like a gift he wasn't supposed to unwrap yet, but he just couldn't resist. 

Memories came back, but in a painful way like before. It felt like a stream of pleasant moments gently playing in the back of his mind, engraving themselves into his memory. A clearer picture was slowly being painted of his life before he forgot everything, but he wasn't focusing on the past right now.  Everything he needed was right in front of him.