Cinderella

His chest felt tight, and it was only getting worse with every passing second. His vision was blurry from the pounding headache, but Ryan found his way to his room. Shane's jacket was still wrapped in his arms, proof that he didn't just imagine all of it. 

A sob escaped from his throat as he clung to the jacket. The image of Shane's betrayed eyes haunted the forefront of his mind. He never wanted to hurt Shane, that wasn't why he broke up with him. He just couldn't take all of it anymore. The weight of his decision sat on his chest, crushing him to the point of him hyperventilating. 

If Shane were there, he would whisper calming affirmations until Ryan felt better. If Shane were there, he would've held Ryan until he felt better. If Shane were there, he would never make Ryan feel guilty for crying. 

But he wasn't there. And he would never be. 

Pushing him away was a permanent decision. Shane couldn't return to the overworld or he would die. It was completely over. 

His nails dug into his arms as the thought echoed through his mind. The world seemed to be closing in on him, screaming a thousand different thoughts. None of them made sense, none of them helped, but nevertheless, it was all he could hear. 

He glanced up and saw himself in the mirror. He hated what he saw, but he couldn't look away. The mark Shane had left of his neck was staring back. Why did you leave? 

"Fuck" He hissed out, feeling the searing pain of regret course through his entire body. Why did this have to happen on the last day? He ran the events of the night over and over again in his mind, thinking of a million different ways he could've handled things. 

But after everything, Ryan still thought he had a good reason for breaking up with Shane. It was too much pressure to be Shane's only connection in the overworld. He had enough going on in his life and he just couldn't handle all of Shane's drama too. 

At the end of the day, he simply wasn't prepared to have a demon boyfriend. There was just no way they could have a happy ending. 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

The clock ticked away, almost mocking Shane as he ordered more drinks. Ricky continued to drone on about how great their life was going to be now. He made plans of moving in with Shane, going on vacation, and various other endeavors. None of them were things they haven't done before but he continued to talk about them like they were brand new. 

"I know you don't want to talk about it, but I'm really glad you're staying" Ricky admitted as placed his hand over Shane's. "I don't know what I would've done without you" 

Shane leaned his head on Ricky's shoulder. "You're helpless without me" 

"Don't push it" Ricky joked. There was a sense of relief between them. Everything would be great now. "Wait- is that..?" 

Ricky got out of his seat as he saw C.C. Tinsely in the crowd. His face contorted into a snarl, which resulted in Shane drunkenly laughing. 

"It's your old pal!" He exclaimed, very entertained by the sight. "You should go talk to him"

"No" Ricky shot back instantly. "Why the fuck is he even here?" 

Shane laughed and stood up as well. "I invited him" 

"What?! Why!?" Ricky asked forcefully. Shane never failed to baffle him. 

Shane's eyes flickered with something resembling regret, but he quickly went back to being carefree. "For funsies"

"That's not an actual answer" Ricky growled, sighing heavily as C.C. noticed them. "This is going to be great..."

"I know, right?" Shane said with a small smirk on his face. 40 minutes until he was stuck in Hell forever. How great. This is great, this is fine. The feeling that was building up in his chest would be easier to ignore once he was trapped in Hell for the rest of his life, right?