Who Are You?

Shane walked down the stairs, taking note of the little differences in Ricky's house. It was never anything too noticeable, just a book out of place occasionally or a different painting on the wall. He ignored them for now and opened the door to investigate who these uninvited guests were. 

"Finally!" Someone said as soon as Shane opened the door. He was greeted by a group of four, but his eyes instantly gravitated to one in particular. Something like recognition crossed his mind when he looked down at him, but he had no idea who he was. The man stared back at him, his eyes wide with happiness. He was shorter than the rest of the group with huge brown eyes, his clothes were dripping wet.

"Hello?" Shane greeted them, confused. He looked at them each in turn, looking into their minds to collect names. There was Maria, Wilson, and Nickolas. The man Shane kept looking back at was Ryan. Ryan... it sounded so familiar.

"Shane!" He said, his face lighting up with relief. Without thinking, he quickly hugged him. "Are you ok?" He felt so much better now that he knew Shane was alive. 

"Well, this is going to be a little awkward" Shane laughed, hesitantly hugging the shivering man back. "But... Who are you?" 

Ryan backed up, hurt but not entirely surprised. He went to say something, but Maria cut him off with a groan. 

"Are you telling me we to 3 separate locations to try and return him to you, and you don't even know who he is?" Maria huffed out, crossing her arms in annoyance. Wilson shoved her arm and whispered something in her ear, which seemed to subdue her for the time being. She pointed an accusing finger in Ryan's direction. "You said that you knew him!"

Shane ignore the quarrel and stared down at Ryan, trying to figure how he knows him. "You're freezing, you should come in" 

Ryan nodded as he tried to wrap his head around the situation. Shane doesn't remember him at all, and it was no doubt because of that shot he found under his bed. 

"Hey hold on," Wilson said, grabbing Ryan's arm to prevent him from entering the house. "Don't we get a reward for returning him? I mean, we did come all this way" 

Shane felt a strong sense of protectiveness over Ryan, but he couldn't figure out why. It must be because Ryan was just interesting, and losing him would be boring. Maybe it was because he held to key to figuring out what was going on with his memory loss. For whatever reason, he felt anger rising in his chest at the sight of Wilson grabbing Ryan. 

He wrenched Wilson's hand off of Ryan and stared at him with a burning fury. "How about I let you live if you leave right now?" he growled.

Wilson quickly retreated back to his friends, astonished by how quickly Shane's attitude shifted. Ryan was just as surprised, but came to Shane's side nonetheless. Even though it hurt, Ryan had to recognize that the man standing next to him wasn't the Shane he knew. This was Shane with his memories erased, and he didn't even know how many he had left. He might as well be a different person. A person Ryan wasn't sure he could trust. 

"Sorry about that" Shane coughed, looking down awkwardly as he shut the door. He felt guilty for being so aggressive in front of Ryan. "You're a human, right?" 

He could tell by the scent that he was from the overworld, and from the lack of horns, it was safe to assume he wasn't a demon. It was extremely rare for a demon to ever see a living human, so Shane was pretty excited to learn about him. 

Ryan shivered, half from the cold and half from the unfamiliar question. Sure, plenty of demons had asked before, but never Shane. "Yes, I am. I'm Ryan" 

"Shane" He replied, smiling slightly. "But it seems like you already knew that"

Ryan's face flushed as he laughed uncomfortably, the memory of the hug still fresh in his mind. Shane watched him with a warm feeling in his chest and promptly ignored it. He still had to piece together what was happening with his memory, there was no time for... this.