Please Wake Up

Shane pried his eyes open, fully expecting to still be on the bathroom floor. It didn't feel like much time had passed, but his pain was significantly less present. The room was dark, and Shane noticed he didn't feel the cold tile of the bathroom floor but instead the warmth of his bed. No, it was just that, someone was holding his hand too. He turned his head slowly, still feeling the throbbing headache. He winced in pain but continued to examine who was by his side. 

He tightened his grip around their hand, seeking any ounce of comfort he could get.

"Ryan?" He croaked out, his voice almost unrecognizable because of how rough it sounded. His mind was still fuzzy but his senses weren't as dulled by pain. If he were more cognizant he might have been more worried.

"Try again" Ricky said gently. Shane could tell he had been crying. His vision slowly started to stabilize and he could clearly see Ricky's face, and more specifically his puffy eyes. Shane felt an urgency to comfort him but his body outright refused to do anything other than lay down. This was exactly what Shane had been avoiding.

Ricky could push down his envy as best as he could, but he couldn't deny it stung when Shane said Ryan's name. 

"Ricky... what happened?" Shane asked, squeezing his eyes shut again. Even though the room was decently dark, he still couldn't stand the stands of light that escaped the curtains. 

"It looks like you fell and got a concussion, Ryan's calling the doctor right now to get you some help" He assured his best friend, running his thumb over Shane's knuckles.

"Is he ok? He's a lot like you, y'know... always worrying" His words came out slowly because if he took in too much air at one time his chest would ache. He knew Ricky's story about the concussion wasn't true but it was the perfect cover-up. 

There were already so many obstacles right now, he didn't want to worry anybody with a random health issue. Maybe after he sorted everything out with Robert he would tell them, but right now he had to pretend to be ok.

It couldn't be that serious, right? He had been just fine only a few hours ago. This had to of been just a completely random event.

"Your an idoit, Shane Madaj. Stop worrying about other people for one second" Ricky laughed sadly. That was just who he was, Ricky loved him for it, but it was also the most annoying thing about him. His selflessness was both an obstacle and an integral part of his personality. Sometimes Ricky wished for Shane to be selfish, just a little bit, then maybe he would be safer. Even after all these years, he couldn't come to terms with it. 

"Why are you even here?" Shane teased, the only smile he could manage to show was a slight twitch of the lips. He felt weighed down but not exactly tired. He had no energy but he also knew he couldn't go back to sleep. "And you didn't answer my question" 

"Your pet is fine, and I came here to ask a question, but it doesn't really matter anymore" Ricky said, looking at their hands. Shane felt weak and fragile which was a stark contrast to his usual demanding presence. Shane hated it when Ricky worried too much, so he tried not to show that he was barely keeping it together.

He was furious, but there was no one to be mad at. It was no one's fault that Shane was in pain right now, but Ricky still felt vengeful. What could he have done?

"That doesn't sound like my Ricky" Shane whispered. "Now you have to tell me what you were going to ask"

My Ricky 

Fuck, he thought, while biting his lip. There was an indescribable pressure in his chest. Those words stuck his head and rung out like a bell that tolled forever. This wasn't the first time something Shane had said affected him in this way, in fact, it was starting to happen more and more often.