Don't Tell Him

"Woah, woah, woah" Ricky said, putting his hand on Sara's shoulder to stop her from marching out the door. "It's almost 11 pm, maybe wait until tomorrow?" Her impulsivity reminded him of Shane. He was actually relieved that she suggested studying this because Ricky wasn't sure what would happen to Shane if she didn't. 

She huffed in annoyance and reluctantly agreed with him. "Fine, if you insist. But first thing tomorrow we're doing this study" There was no arguing with her now, Sara had made up her mind. Ricky couldn't believe how similar she was to Shane, both of them were needlessly stubborn at times.

"Deal" Ricky said as he hastily collected his belongings. It had just hit him that he had been gone for almost 3 hours and he hadn't checked on Shane. Sara picked up the books they had been looking at and put them on her desk. She would read through all of them in preparation. She would also have to read up on Shane, who he was and his ranking, and things like that. All the little details could end up being important.

Ricky left, nearly running out the door and Sara sat down in front of her computer. She searched "Shane Madaj" and to her surprise, many tabloid articles popped. She clicked through each of them, with every new article his eyes getting wider with shock...

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Ricky walked into Shane's house and instantly saw a figure standing in the kitchen. He turned on the lights and saw Shane hunched over the kitchen sink with a rag to his face. He turned around quickly with his eyes wide, staring at Ricky like he had been caught. Shane thought he had left for the night, especially after the conversation they had. 

Ricky rushed over and saw that that the rag was stained with blood. This whole thing was getting more and more frustrating, and Shane's unwillingness to ask for help was not helping in the slightest. Ricky put his hand on Shane's back to steady him as it was obvious Shane was about to fall over. 

"What happened?" Ricky asked, already knowing the answer. Now he knew for sure that Shane didn't just fall and hit his head, this was an ongoing issue. The silver lining was that this was a step in the right direction because Shane had to admit something was wrong. 

"Don't worry, I'm fine, it's just a nosebleed" Shan stuttered out, trying to get his story straight. He knew Ricky was going to blow this out of proportion which would only fuel his anxiety.

"Don't bullshit me, something's wrong" Ricky said, taking the rag from Shane holding it to his nose for him. At this point, he was essentially begging Shane to admit he was sick. 

"Ricky, everything is ok" Shane assured him as Ricky lead his back to the sink. There was blood staining his shirt and all his muscles felt weak but he kept up his steady tone. Letting his calm demeanor falter would only worry both Ricky and Ryan further. 

"I hate it when you do this. Just admit something wrong and ask for help" He was feverishly trying to stop the blood from coming, but it refused to stop. The once white cloth was not almost completely crimson after just a few minutes. 

"Can you just let it go? I know you get worried about me and I appreciate it but ever since I started dating Ryan you've been so... overbearing" Shane knew he should probably stop there, but some unknown force pushed him to go forward. "Why can't we just be like we were before? Every time I talk to you now I feel like I'm going to get lectured" 

Ricky didn't have a response to that. There were a million things he wanted to say, or more accurately scream, but he decided silence was the best way to go. The worst part about the situation was Shane had a point, but this time Ricky actually wasn't overreacting. This time Shane was actually in trouble and his worries were completely warranted. 

Ricky wiped away the rest of the blood from Shane's face and put the rag in the sink when he was sure the bleeding had stopped. he placed his hand on Shane's forehead to check if had a fever then he ruffled Shane's hair. 

"Come on, you need to get to bed" Ricky instructed as he threw a water bottle towards Shane. There was no actual medicine in the house because Shane almost never got sick.

"I'm sorry" Shane apologized while looking into Ricky's eyes. So much had happened in just the past 24 hours and he was exhausted, both physically and mentally. He rarely ever truly thanked Ricky for being the one person he was always sure would be there. After so many years of having that safety net he had started taking him for granted. 

"It's ok, just go to bed" Ricky replied with no emotion in his tone. He didn't want to continue this serious conversation. It would be great if they could go back to how it was a month ago when they were carefree and there was no human here messing everything up. Ricky tried to push down his resentment for Ryan, but his mind just kept running. He couldn't believe that he tried to be friends with Ryan earlier today. 

The more he thought it, the more he could blame everything that was happening to Shane. Not only was this mystery illness most likely his fault, but so was the mess with Robert. Not to mention that Shane even being in the human world was dangerous. 

"And Ricky? can you not tell Ryan about this?" Shane asked, now looking away. Ryan had enough to worry about right now and if he had to lose sleep over Shane's mystery illness it would break Shane's heart. 

"I will never understand you, but fine" He shook his head in disbelief. "Under the condition that I get to introduce you to someone tomorrow" Ricky added, remembering that he had to introduce Sara so she could do the study. Shane raised an eyebrow but nodded in agreement. 

"Now get to bed" Ricky repeated, playfully pushing Shane towards his room. 

"Thank you" Shane said as he walked away, leaving Ricky alone. 

Once he was gone the house felt still and almost empty. It was comparable to the calm before the storm because he knew there were terrible things on the horizon. He ran his hand through his hair and leaned on the kitchen counter, still dwelling on how frustrating Shane was to deal with. Ricky always knew that one of these days Shane's insane shenanigans would come back to bite them in the ass. 

However, this is what he signed up for. It was like there was a set of consequences that came along with being friends with Shane, and dealing with his ridiculous endeavors was one of them. He was used to it by now, but going up to the human world and falling in love with one of them really caught him off guard. 

The universe really likes to throw impossible challenges at them. Not only were the obstacles endlessly annoying but right now they were all coming at once. 

Sara was coming over tomorrow which offered a bit of comfort. At least things were starting to look up, or at least there was a possibility of a solution. The only issue that remained was the question what if Ryan really was the thing making Shane sick? Shane had made it very clear he had no intention of leaving the human anytime soon. 

He gritted his teeth in frustration and reached into the shelf looking for a bottle. He knew Shane would give him hell for drinking on a Monday night, but he wasn't thinking rationally right now.