Farewell From Hell

They stood in front of the mirror, preparing to return to the human world. Ryan kept a short distance between him and Shane as he hadn't forgotten what had transpired between them. He had to stand his ground to make it clear he wasn't ok with Shane lying. It wasn't a flawless plan, but it was better than arguing with him. 

As they were stepping through the portal, Ricky look at Ryan with contempt. He might be the reason he loses Shane. Ricky quickly reached out before Ryan completely disappeared into the portal. It was a competition now, which eliminated any chance of them being friends. 

"Keep him safe, alright?" Ricky whispered low enough so that Shane couldn't hear. Ryan looked back at Ricky and nodded, before allowing the portal to swallow him. It was an odd moment, as if there were an agreement between them despite all that had happened. 

Ricky stumbled back from the portal and allowed the silence to take over, it felt so empty without them there. Tears started to form in his eyes and attempted to hold them in, but the effort was futile. He broke down and sank to the floor, weighed down by his swarming thoughts.

His sorrow quickly turned into anger and he bawled up his fists. Unlike the other times he felt this way, there was actually someone to be mad at. The cause of all his problems was nothing more than a mere human he could kill by barely lifting a finger, yet he was helpless. He was at the mercy of Shane's decision and nothing else. He loved Shane with all his soul, but he knew he was impulsive. He didn't view their relationship the same way Ricky did, and that was always fine up until now. 

Up until now, it was easy to bury everything inside himself. Up until now, it was second nature. 

"What is wrong with me?!" Ricky roared, throwing his fist into the wall as tears poured out of his eyes with no signs of stopping. The pain in his chest grew and grew until it was almost unbearable and felt like it was tearing out of his heart at every moment. 

He pulled his fist away, blood staining his knuckles and dripping down onto the hardwood floor. The pain couldn't distract him from the battle that was going on inside his head. He was confused, lost, and above all else, he just wanted Shane there. Such a simple request, yet he couldn't even have that. His heart was beating in his ears as if to drown out the sounds of his own sobs.

"You mean you really don't know?" a sickenly familiar voice asked from the darkness. Ricky tried to steady his breathing to face him. Robert. 

"Why the hell are you here? Just to mock me?" Ricky spat out while shifting into a defensive position. He had a reputation to uphold, even in front of an old friend such as Robert. 

"Of course not, what do you take me for?" Robert responded. He couldn't deny it was quite an entertaining show, to see the renowned Ricky Goldsworht falling apart. However, his intentions went beyond just seeing the admittingly fascinating breakdown. 

"I just stopped by to remind you two that work starts bright and early Monday, but I heard something about Shane choosing between you and that human?" Robert approached Ricky slowly as if he were a wild animal that would attack at any moment. It was a gamble as to what Ricky would do next, but Robert guessed it would be something to deflect the question. Goldsworth never really changed. 

"I don't see how any of that is your business" Ricky responded coldly, his voice suddenly devoid of emotion. Robert smiled, his prediction had come true. 

"I've helped you before, who says I can't do it again?" Robert proposed, cautiously placing his hand on Ricky's shoulder. It was a simple phycology trick he had been studying up on for instances such as this. He only had one shot to make Shane stay, so he needed to know everything he can to make this operation work. 

"What are you talking about?" Ricky eyed the made suspiciously as he brushed away and touch and started stomping towards the door. It was taking all his restraint not to hurt Robert right now, especially as he followed Ricky's heels. 

"We both want Shane to stay, I need him to keep Bite and Bark afloat, and you're in love with him-" Robert started as they flew down the stairs. it was starting to seem like Ricky was running away. 

"What?" Ricky said, taken aback by the accusation. He stopped at the base of the stairs and looked up at Robert with confusion. "I'm not in love with Shane"

"Are you sure about that?" Robert fought the smile tugging at his lips. This was the perfect catalyst to get the ball rolling. There was no greater motive for murder than love. 

Ricky paused and ran a few scenarios through his head. Was it possible..? No, there was no way. Maybe?

"No, that's impossible. we've both dated other people and it's always been fine" Ricky reasoned, more with himself than with Robert. 

"Fine? don't make me laugh" Robert ushered Ricky into the kitchen, one hand on his shoulder. "It's quite obvious you're not fond of that human. And tell me, all those people you've dated, have you ever loved them like you've loved Shane?" 

Ricky went to respond, but he had nothing to defend himself. He watched thoughtlessly as Robert poured two glasses full of whiskey and slid one over to him. 

"Oh my god" Ricky breathed out, realizing everything Robert was saying was true. "Fuck" 

All those times Shane had brushed past his hand while they were walking and it had set his heart on fire, that was longing. Those moments where Shane had given him a genuine compliment and it had left him speechless, that was pining. All those years of viewing Shane as his other half. That was love. 

"Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't know" Roberty laughed before taking a sip. "Everyone around you can see it" 

"How?" Ricky asked, a glimmer of hope in his eyes. If he only just realized what his feelings meant, then it was entirely possible Shane could go through the same thing. Shane could love him back.

"It's just when you look at each other, you can tell somethings there," Robert said. "Now back to my plan, I think I have an idea on how to help you win this little competition and keep Shane in Hell" 

Ricky looked up, encouraging Robert to continue. There was now more on the line than ever before.

"I'll host little parties throughout the next month, plenty of opportunities for a beautiful moment between you two, no?" He offered. "If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm on your side here" 

All he needed was Ricky's trust, then the plan would be set into motion. He ran over the steps, tempt Ryan into cheating, let Ricky find out, and finally, Ricky would kill Ryan out of anger. With his lover dead and his best friend a traitor, Shane would have no choice but to stay in hell and work for bite and bark. the bonus was he would no longer have those annoying attachments that always hindered Shane's true potential. 

"Thank you," Ricky said, clearing his throat. He hated being vulnerable in front of anyone other than Shane. "But if you try to pull anything-"

"I guarantee Shane's safety" Robert assured him, taking one last sip from the glass and getting up.

"That's all I need"