Stressful Work Environment

"Why's everyone staring at us?" Ryan asked in a hushed tone as they walked down the hallway. It felt like everyone was staring daggers at them. He had never seen so many demons in one place and he would be lying if he didn't say he was intimidated. He clung to Shane's arm tighter for comfort which made Shane smile slightly. 

Ricky smirked and decided to answer for Shane. "You'll get used to it, they despise anyone close with Shane. Especially if they suspect you're dating" 

Ryan's eyes darted up to Shane as if asking for confirmation, willfully ignoring Ricky's cocky smile. 

"He's being dramatic" Shane said with an eye roll, leading them into the break room. For once Ricky actually wasn't being dramatic, but he didn't want to worry Ryan. There was nothing to worry about, anyway. 

"Oh really? What about that little secret admirer that left you a gift this morning" Ricky teased, forgetting Ryan was there. Shane's eyes went wide but Ricky didn't regret saying it. Who cared what Ryan was thinking? Shane was safe with Ricky so even if something was wrong, Ricky would never allow anyone to hurt him. 

That was the whole reason he needed Shane to stay in hell. Ryan didn't have nearly the same amount of dedication to Shane as Ricky did. Ricky was a level 8 demon, goddammit. Ryan was just a human. Ricky dialed back his growing thoughts and focused back in on the conversation. 

"What?" Ryan asked. They took a seat at one of the tables in the breakroom, Ryan was suddenly completely disinterested in eating lunch. He stared at Shane, demanding an explanation. 

Shane sighed. "Ok, maybe someone left a heart on my desk" he would explain what kind of heart later, now was hardly the time. He shot Ricky a look before returning to Ryan. 

"Who?" Ryan asked, his expression souring. "I want names"

"Don't even worry about it" Shane said, placing his hand on Ryan's lap. "I only have eyes for you"

Ricky gagged. "Gross, I was going to get lunch but I think I lost my appetite" it was a thinly veiled attempt to get out of the conversation before he started saying things he would later regret. Seeing them being so cute with each other pushed his jealousy to the forefront. All he could think about as they held hands and looked at each other like that was how much better he could treat Shane. 

Ryan scrunched up his nose as he saw Ricky's glare. Ricky's jealously was seeping through his words now, Ryan was astonished that Shane didn't notice. Ryan was suddenly fully aware of all the eyes that were not only on him, but Shane as well. He began comparing himself to them. That guy who has been making googly eyes at Shane since the moment they walked in was much more confident, you could simply by his stance. 

Shane notice Ryan's worried glances and sighed slightly. "Ry, I'm serious. You have nothing to worry about" he was slightly hurt that Ryan would even think that Shane would cheat on him. Shane understood why, but that didn't really make him feel any less wounded. 

"I know" Ryan said, sitting closer to Shane as if to claim him, glancing at everyone in the room as he did so. It seemed like Shane's return was stirring up quite the frenzy. 

"Shaney! is that you?" Fuck, oh no, oh god. Shane's mind started spiraling rapidly as he tried to figure a way out of this. That was Freddy. He knew that voice so well. "Did you get my gift?"

Ryan and Shane both turned to face the man. He had a thin stature and short frame with blonde hair messily tied up in a bun. He had a wide, knowing smile across his face that highlighted his deep green eyes. Freddy didn't even spare a glance at Ryan as he beamed down at Shane. His wings were much smaller than the other demons Ryan had encountered, and that applied to horns as well. If he had to guess, he would say this had something to do with the levels Ricky had mentioned the other day. 

Shane's expression became cold as he stared up at Freddy, who seemed unfazed by Shane's opposition to his presence. 

"Leave" He said simply, not wanting to waste any more time on him. This was the absolute worst time Freddy could have chosen to pop back up and he didn't bother with giving an explanation. Freddy didn't deserve it, not after everything he's done. 

Freddy ignore the request and turned his attention to Ryan, obviously intrigued. Shane attempted to decipher what his intentions were but his powers were still weakened. His telepathy wouldn't be working for a while, so he just had to guess what Freddy was thinking. No, what he was plotting

"Smells like the overworld, is he a new ghost?" Freddy asked, his eyes darting to their intertwined hands then back up to Ryan's eyes. Shane refused to answer si Ryan cautiously continued the conversation. Normally, he wouldn't dare challenge a demon, but there was a lot of anger bubbling over. the 'gift' he assumed, was the heart left on Shane's desk. There was no way in hell (no pun intended) he was just going to let that fly.

"I'm a human" Ricky raised an eyebrow. "And his boyfriend" it felt good to get it out there. The word evidently held some kind of power Freddy, as his happy-go-lucky demeanor faltered for a second but quickly returned. Shane grimaced at the shift. 

Freddy forced out a pained laugh and looked at Ryan like he was insane. "Oh? really? That's what you think"

"Don't start-" Shane warned, suddenly joining the conversation. Shane was using every ounce of restraint he had not to go off on Freddy. It was one thing if he wanted to cause trouble for Shane, it was another thing if he was trying to get under Ryan's skin. 

"No, no, no" Freddy said, shaking his head with a grin still plastered on his face. "I'll tell you what, you may think he's your boyfriend, then a month into dating he'll tell you he 'isn't ready for a relationship'" he added air quotes for full effect. Obviously, this explanation was more of a jab at Shane than it was an explanation to Ryan. 

Ryan thought about his words but quickly shook the thoughts from his head. He wasn't actually about to believe a random psycho over his boyfriend. 

"Goodbye, Freddy" Shane reiterated, not interested in arguing. Especially not with Ryan there. 

"This isn't over" Freddy stated, a smile still on his face somehow. There was something eerie about how he kept up a happy facade through his harsh words. Shane rolled his eyes as Freddy sauntered away, it was evident he was proud of himself. 

"I hate it here" Shane grumbled under his breath, staring at Freddy with hatred as he disappeared from the breakroom. 

"Tell me about it" Ryan returned sarcastically. 

After that interaction, both Shane and Ryan decided it was best that Ryan not come down to hell as much anymore. It was as if he were a magnet that attracted all the horrible people from Shane's past. They walked back to Shane's office, Ryan making a point to hold onto his partner's hand tightly.