I Know

Ricky listened as he heard Shane talk fondly of the human world. He had truly fallen in love with every part of it. He avoided Shane's eyes, worrying if he looked too deeply he might see his anguish. Shane continued his ramblings, oblivious to the foreboding feeling in the air. Eventually, Ricky just shook his head sadly. 

"You're going to stay here, aren't you?" He asked, already knowing the answer. Instead of listening closely for Shane's answer, Ricky stared at his coffee cup. He had known this is where it was going from the moment Shane's eyes lit up when he came up with the idea to come here. His heart ached with the loss of someone who was sitting right in front of him, but a glimmer of hope could be seen. 

Shane looked at his best friend like the idea was ridiculous. of course he would come home! Obviously not yet... but eventually. 

"Why, do you miss me already?" Shane mocked, trying to downplay Ricky's serious tones. He bit his lip slightly as he considered the idea further. So far, it wasn't so bad living amongst the humans. He really enjoyed living with Ryan and the true-crime show was a lot of fun. When he tried to think of the pros of hell, all he could think of was Ricky. Everything else he could just drop without remorse. 

"Of course I do" Ricky said, nearly hissing out his words. He counteracted Shane's dismissiveness with serious tones. This caught Shane off guard which led him to look closer into Ricky's expression. His discomfort here was palpable. Shane hesitated before he spoke again, realizing the significants of this conversation. 

Shane put his hand over Ricky's and looked at him with an uncharacteristically grave expression. He was trying his best to express to his friend that he was dead serious about his words.

"I'm never going to leave you," He said, to which Ricky smiled. Their friendship wasn't the type to have too many deep talks, so when they did it was always of the utmost importance. "I promise" 

"Thank you" Ricky whispered meeting Shane's gaze. He knew he needed to hear that, especially with the changes. He was thankful for the security Shane offered, it had always been what he loved about him.

They walked back to Ryan's apartment a little while later. Their conversations had returned to their usual flow, but Ricky's thoughts were clouded with his promise. The overwhelming part of his thoughts were elated by it, but a small doubt was hidden beneath the joy. He wondered if he was limited to what Shane truly wanted to do.

Shane seemed undisturbed by the situation, as he often was. he would live in the moment and not plan a single thing, never having to deal with the anxieties of the future. Ricky envied him in a way. 

Shane opened the door with the key he had borrowed from Ryan and was thankful that all the lights were still out. it seemed they had successfully snuck up without waking him. Shane and Ricky exchanged goodbyes and hugged.

While they were still in the embrace Shane asked, "Are you going back to hell?"

Hell. Ricky took note that Shane didn't even call it home anymore.

"Yeah, I don't understand how you could stand this place," Ricky said, letting go of the hug with a smile. 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][[][][][][][]

It wasn't technically eavesdropping if it was in your own house, right? Ryan had been watching from the crack of the door from his room. he had a million questions but quieted his thoughts until Shane shut the door. He trained to ignore the pain in his heart he felt when Shane hugged the mysterious man.

Earlier in the night, Shane had woken up to the sounds of people talking in the living room. At that point, he was much too tired to go out and figure what going on, but once he heard the voices stop he went out. There had been a note on the counter briefly explaining what was happening.

-Hey Ryan, I'm going to get some food with an old friend, ill be home soon, Shane-

It was odd to go out in the middle of the night, but Ryan was more concerned about who this 'old friend' was. He debated asking Shane about it.