Consider

Robert offered Shane the cigarette, but he shook his head. He much preferred cigars if he were to smoke. Shane sat on the hood, one hand propping himself up the other he was running through his hair in an attempt to alleviate the stress. All the best things in life had to be fought for. Ryan must be one hell of a reward if he had to jump through all these hoops just to be near him. 

Shane couldn't deny that it was somewhat thrilling to be running around like this. It was something out of a fairytale. The whole relationship seemed too perfect so of course, they had to have a lot of obstacles to balance it out. All Shane could think about was the rainbow at the end of all this bullshit. 

Shane left the company years, dragging Ricky kicking and screaming as he did. That place was a shithole and downright immoral. His biggest regret had always been joining it and he had sworn countless times he would never go back. The thought of it sent shivers down his spine. He hated the person he was when that company started and he couldn't go back. 

They killed innocents every day. They went behind Shane's back to do back-alley deals. When he discovered the horrifying things they did under the company Shane couldn't live with himself knowing he was the reason it was happening. 

Before he left, he enacted a few strict rules that prevent any more unjustified deaths. It was the one thing he did there that he felt good about and ever since he has tried to bury that shameful past. He didn't want to go back in fear more blood would be shed in his name.

But he had to.

That was the worst part about love, it made you think irrationally. There was one thing Shane never wanted to do again, but he would do it a thousand times over if it meant staying with Ryan. 

"Listen, you don't have to come back as an assassin. You'll be my right-hand man" Robert explained further. That certainly made the decision easier. Killing was something Shane was good at, not something he enjoyed. 

"I have a proposition for you" Shane said, turning to face Robert. He had aged much more drastically than he expected, his thinning grey hair was now completely shaved off. The biggest change was in his voice that had deteriorated over the years to where it constantly sounded like he had a bad cold. 

"Oh do you?" Robert was humoring this request. They both knew who had the upper hand here, but all Shane needed was a little leeway. Just a little more time to figure out what he was going to do.

"You help me get Ryan to Hell for a visit, and I'll come back to work" Robert raised an eyebrow, interested in this offer. "Temporarily" Shane added firmly. 

"I'll talk to Ricky, we'll see what he says" Robert didn't sound confident. He threw the cigarette onto the grass and stomped it out.  

"Does he have to know right away? Do you really need his permission?" Shane asked, looking back to the sky as if it would give him direction. Maybe the answers were written out and he was just too blind to see them. 

"I'll give you 24 hours, have an answer by the time I come back," He said, walking past Shane. He stopped before fully disappearing and put a hand on Shane's shoulder. "And just as a friend, please don't throw your life away for this human. It's not worth it, Shaney" 

And with that, he was gone. 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

"Good news and bad news" Robert said, walking into Ricky's study. Ricky looked up at him with hope, then it shifted to disappointment. He had been waiting all day for Shane to come home, and here Robert was. Without Shane. 

"Where's Shane?" Ricky looked at his small glass of whiskey as he swirled it in his hand. This was Shane's favorite drink. He kept his tone even for now but the anger was already bubbling up.

"I don't have him, but-"

"But what? You promised he would be home!" Ricky slammed his glass down, the caramel liquid splashing onto the wooden desk. He clenched and unclenched his fists, seething with anger. He didn't like to lose. 

"We can get him back working for the company, all we have to do is let him bring that little human" Robert explained "It seems like a solid plan, no?"

"No! that's the one thing I'm trying to avoid" Ricky said, slumping down in his desk chair. A tie hung loosely from his dress shirt, the blazer was thrown across the room. He was stressed, that much was apparent. He was trying to figure out a plan but everything was falling flat. He had already called all his favors and used up all his schemes. He would be at the mercy of Shane's desire to come home if he didn't think of something. 

"Consider this; If we get him tied up with a contract to the company, he can't go back to the human world. I doubt that little human can stand more than a few days down here" Robert said, now pacing around the room. It was quite large and each wall had a bookcase filled to the brim with books. 

"You know, that might work" He had Ricky's attention now. 

"Maybe it would be more enticing for him if you came back too" Robert looked to see Ricky's reaction. His plan was going so well thus far, all he needed was to set up this last domino. Getting the old gang back together had been on the forefront of his mind ever since Shane and Ricky left. This time would be different, this time he would be prepared.

"I'll talk to Shane" Ricky mumbled with uncertainty, his attention focused back on his whiskey. 

"I gave Shane 24 hours, so unless you can talk to him before then..." Robert said, now halfway out the door. 

"Wait" Ricky stood up. "Give me the contract" It felt wrong. He knew this was an irrational decision. even still, he felt gravitated toward the offer. 

"Atta boy" Robert handed the contract that specified what Ricky had to do and how long he had to do it for. "Just sign this and Shane will be home this time tomorrow"

Without even reading over it, Ricky sighed his name.