Concern

Ricky sat in the same spot he was in when Shane told him he was leaving. It didn't have the same nostalgia without his best friend there, nothing did. He knew Shane could handle himself, but that did little to ease his nerves. He wasn't normally so worried about things but with Shane it was different. He had known for countless years and if there was anything he learned is that Shane was unpredictable. 

He absentmindedly brushed his hand over the spot Shane would be sitting and thought of all the conversations they had over the years. They had their rough patches, of course, but it was miraculous how quickly they came back together. 

Ricky thought for sure Shane would already be tired of the human world but he still wasn't back. Shane never held interests for this long, which made Ricky consider that Shane might actually like it there. It was an unsettling thought due to the unsafe nature of the human world. 

A disregard for safety was one of Shane's trademark characteristics. Sure, it was entertaining most of the time but right now it only made Ricky's worries grow. He reminisced fondly on the days when they were young, and they were always seen as opposites. Ricky's job was to keep Shane in check and Shane made sure Ricky had fun with life. The idea that Shane might actually stay in the human world terrified Ricky to no end. Not only for Shane's sake, but for his. 

-Meanwhile, in the overworld-

"Are you seriously telling me you don't know how to wash dishes?" Ryan asked, looking at Shane with disbelief. It had been a rough journey, learning to love with a demonic roommate, but this seemed absurd. "Your parents didn't teach you?" Ryan asked.

"They weren't very hands-on" Shane explained, fumbling with a plate. This whole process seemed unnecessary and weirdly enough, messy. His shirt was already drenched with water and his sleeves were soaking. Nothing about this whole 'household chores' thing was enjoyable. Except, of course, Ryan explaining everything. 

"Here, your doing it wrong" Ryan grumbled, squeezing in next to Shane to help him. He actively ignored the feeling of his body heat as he guided the other man's hands over the dishes. He continued to nondescriptly complain about Shane being helpless. 

This seems like a much less sexy version of the pottery trope, Shane thought. He might have enjoyed the moment more if he didn't despise chores. After a few minutes of hopelessly trying to lead Shane, Ryan gave up. He walked over to the couch and slumped down with a sigh. 

"I tried" Shane said, trying to give an explanation. He joined Ryan on the couch, his shirt still soaking from the failed attempt. Ryan rubbed his eyes, still a little hungover from the night before. He looked fondly over at Shane, to show he wasn't genuinely upset with him. In fact, Ryan understood what it was like to be thrown into an unknown environment. The only thing he could do was to be patient during this learning curve. 

He was thankful for all the time he got to spend with his new roommate, it meant they were only getting closer. after coming out he already felt much more connected to him. He had trouble in the past keeping up with friends, especially if they moved far away. Ryan was confident in his relationship, no, friendship with Shane because they lived in the same house. Besides that, Shane seemed genuinely happy to be his friend and Ryan knew if they were apart Shane would keep up with him. He had never felt this security before, not even with his ex-girlfriend.

He internally winced at the thought of her, like someone brushing over an open wound.