Good To Be Back

Shane stood in front of the house with a sense of belonging. It felt like returning to a childhood home even though it had only been a month. He took solace in the fact that Ricky would never change, even if everything else did. Their friendship had always and will always be a safety net for both of them and the old, dilapidated house was representative of that. Even throughout the rocky ride that was their relationship, it still stood unmoving. Unchanging, stagnant...

He took in all the air his lungs could hold and walked through the door. All the lights were on and Ricky was standing in front of the spiral staircase. His hair was messier than usual but he kept his typical strict upright posture, his suit on as usual but the tie and blazer were missing, leaving a hastily buttoned white button-up and black dress pants. Shane could tell he had been drinking when Ricky got closer and the smell of alcohol filled the space.

Ricky wrapped his arms around Shane's shoulders without saying anything. Shane held him close, feeling like he was home again. Despite the ongoing fight, there was no tension in the hug. They could forget about all the things they hated about each other for a few moments to show that nothing had really changed. 

"Shane... I messed up" Ricky whispered. Signing that contract was a mistake. Possessing Ryan was a mistake. Letting Shane go up there was a mistake. Everything was starting to feel overwhelming like he was slowly drowning underwater and eas losing sight of the surface. 

"Whatever it is, we'll be fine" Shane said, letting go of Ricky. They walked into the study and Shane made his way to the leather armchair. His movements were automatic, he fell right back into the routine he was in before he left. Nothing had changed. 

They had been through plenty of shit before and they had survived. There was nothing they couldn't face now, not after everything else they had been through. 

Shane noticed the whiskey bottle that was half empty on the edge of the desk, as well as the still-smoking cigarette. Robert had been here, Ricky never smoked. He would sometimes go on rants about how the smell of smoke made him sick so no one ever used the ashtray that was on the corner of Ricky's desk. It was there purely as decoration. The only person who would have the nerve was Robert.

"Before I tell you what happened, you can't judge" Ricky prefaced his confession. "I-"

"You signed a contract with Robert?" Shane finished his sentence. Of course he did. Robert was predictable which meant Shane knew his moves. Whenever there was a vulnerable person Robert was right there to exploit them. That's why he was here praying on Ricky when he knew they were going through a rough patch. It was just one of the many reasons he never wanted to work with Robert again. 

"How did you know?" Ricky asked, caught off guard. They had always been weirdly in synch, but never to this level. Shane was one of those demons who rarely used the mindreading trick out of respect, and Ricky never saw the point. People lie all the time, they lie to themselves just as much. No point in trusting unreliable information especially it caused more harm than good. 

"Because I know you," Shane said, quickly moving on from the affectionate comment. "Why would you do that?" 

"I don't know, Shane. You've been gone for so long and he promised this would make you come back-" all the things he had been waiting to say were flowing out. He wasn't just angry, he was hurt. he wasn't thinking right, but that wasn't because of the whiskey. Not entirely. 

"Why the hell would you do that?" Shane asked, already sick of the ranting. Shane left to be happy, it wasn't like he was doing all this to intentionally hurt Ricky. He wasn't selfish for loving Ryan, he wasn't selfish for having fun. 

"You're here, aren't you?" Ricky said, turning to face the window. Shane didn't have a response to that, because it was true. "I told you not to go in the first place, I told you to come home sooner. But some guy you met a month ago was more important than my opinion. Because obviously, he knows you better than I do" Ricky took another swig of the whiskey. 

Shane was going to respond, but he was taken aback. Ricky actually meant it. he believed Shane was choosing Ryan over him.

"Ricky..." Shane got closer to Ricky and stood by his side and stared out the window. How do you articulate to someone that you're not choosing someone over them, you just love them differently? Shane didn't have the words, even if he did he didn't have the confidence to say them. 

"What, are you going to tell me that isn't true? Like hell it is!" Ricky turned to face Shane fully, his rage no longer contained. "I sat down here worried about your safety while you had a nice little vacation" 

"I'm sorry ok, I... I didn't think about that" Shane stuttered out. This didn't feel like a normal fight. Drinking and yelling had never ended well for them before. His mind drifted back to his fight with Ryan, he said the same thing. Shane started to think maybe he wasn't as considerate as he had previously thought. None of his actions were done with the goal to hurt them, but that's what happened. 

"Shane, you know I would do anything for you," Ricky said, taking a step closer. His voice was strained but sloppy. "Would you do the same for me?"

"Yes, yes, of course!" Shane assured Ricky, placing his hands on the shorter man's shoulders. He was desperate to make Ricky believe him. 10 minutes ago Shane wouldn't have been so desperate, but he was realizing how shitty he had been to Ricky. 

"Then come home" Ricky said as if it were a dare. He knew Shane wouldn't, it just proved his point. 

"I know you don't like it, but he makes me happy" Shane explained. "I'm not just gonna leave Ryan" 

Shit

Shane forgot to tell Ryan he was leaving. No note, no warning, nothing. It was just another example of him not thinking about how he affected other people. He needed to get home before Ryan realized how 

"If he really means that much to you, bring him here" Ricky noticed the shift in Shane's face. 

"I need to get back to him" Shane responded, suddenly looking anxious.

"Hold on there, Tiny, we still have to figure out this contract thing" Ricky said, shrugging off Shane's hands that were on his shoulders. He walked over to his desk and looked down thoughtfully at nothing in particular. 

"I'm not coming back to the company, there's no way" Shane outright refused the notion. How could he live with himself?

"If you're not going to come back home, at least do this for me" Ricky glanced a the bottle then back to Shane. he knew he couldn't work with Robert again without Shane. 

"How do you think that will work out?" Shane asked, genuinely curious. As much as he hated that company, if he got to stay with Ryan and Ricky that would be perfect. 

"Treat it as you would a job, stay here while your human goes to work and go back when the day's over. God, Shane, you really are helpless sometimes" Ricky added with a smile. "I don't know how you're surviving without me"

"Because I'm never without you, ill never be without you"

"Damn right"