Soulmate

"Do you believe in soulmates?" Ryan asked, holding onto Shane's arm as they walked down the path. It was a forest filled with warm fall colors and a quiet setting. Trees loomed over the cobble path and the high noon sun peered through the leaves to illuminate their steps. Ricky and Katie had gone home and Shane drove Ryan to this trail. 

Ryan thought his relationship with Ricky was much better than before, which was a huge win. Katie of course seemed to love Ryan. Thus far, the day had been perfect. 

The question shouldn't have been as startling as it was to Shane. He thought about the concept before but was never really sold. The thought of only having one person that was made for you? It sounded like a work of fiction. However, even with these conclusions, Shane found that he didn't want to say this to Ryan. 

"Maybe" he settled on saying. "Do you?" 

"I think it's a nice concept" Ryan felt his heart rate increase as the words left his mouth. "But its nothing more than that" 

"How would you even know if someone was your soulmate?" Shane wondered out loud, interested to hear Ryan's view on the idea. 

"I think you're trying to get me to say your my soulmate" Ryan teased. 

"Maybe I am" Shane admitted. "But you're the one who brought them up in the first place" he felt a cool breeze through his hair as they neared the end of the trail. It was so easy to talk to Ryan he had lost track of time. Shane glanced at his phone and realized the deadline was getting closer. 

It was hard to believe just less than 24 hours ago he was sitting on that hill in the overworld with Ryan in his arms. Robert was going to be appearing any minute now to get Shane's signature on the contract and he had to talk to Ryan about it. At the end of the trail was a little clearing that had a gazebo, Shane led Ryan there by the hand. 

"This place is so beautiful, I mean I wasn't sure what Hell would look like but I never imagined it would be so... serene" He commented as he sat down next to Shane. Their hands were interlaced and Ryan laid his head on Shane's shoulder. 

"Ryan... I have to go back to work" Shane said, running his thumb over Ryan's knuckles.

"What do you mean?" He asked in a gentle voice, most of his attention still on the gorgeous scenery. "We're going back to work tomorrow, silly" 

"No, I mean... I have to go back to work here" Shane gestured to the terrain around them to show that he meant Hell. 

"What?" Ryan asked again in shock as he released his grip on Shane's hand and turned to face him. "Shane, what does that mean?" His eyes went slightly wider with worry as his thoughts ran ramped. Was this it? He had been mentally preparing for something bad to happen since they started dating, but of course, the second he started to get comfortable was when something would happen. His heart started beating faster than he would've liked to admit as he awaited Shane's response. 

"I don't have to move back down here" Ryan let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. "But I do have to come here for work every day" Shane tried to explain it quickly to calm Ryan's nerves, but his explanation only left more questions. Shane bit his tongue for most of the details, fearing the details would scare Ryan away. There was no good way to explain you're going to work with assassins.

"Why? When did this happen?" Ryan was trying not to get mad because he didn't know the full story, but this felt like it came out of nowhere. Being left in the dark about important situations was one of Ryan's greatest pet peeves. 

"Well..." Shane started, unsure of how much information to share. When he looked into Ryan's eyes he felt compelled to spill everything, but he knew logically that wasn't the best option. It was too complicated to boil down, or maybe there were just some things that were better left unsaid. "Remember I said I had to go help Ricky? this is a part of that. He got involved with someone who isn't exactly a great guy... this is how I can help him"

Ryan looked to the ground for a second, not sure how to feel or react. He understood that Shane had to do this to help Ricky, but he felt lied to. Ryan knew he still wasn't getting the full story. 

"So you won't be doing unsolved with me?" He asked, once again worrying about the death of the show. In truth, he could care less about that. This was just a way to change the subject so he didn't have to dwell on how anxious this subject made him. Ryan trusted Shane, but to what extent? He had been so ominous about his work for as long as they knew each other, which was fine up until now. 

"No, I can still come film, I just can be at the office every day" Shane assured him while putting his hand on Ryan's leg. "Everything is going to be fine, this is only temporary" 

"Promise?" Ryan looked up at Shane, his words more of a plea than a request. 

"I promise" Ryan knew there was more to the story. He understood that Shane was hiding something. He knew all of this, but with the simple words, 'i promise' he put his trust back into Shane. Still, he thought about the little information he did have. Ricky had something to do with this, could this be another ploy to get Shane to return home? This was certainly a possibility. 

With that being said, Ryan noticed someone starting to approach the gazebo. He noticed Shane's expression shift into disgust at the sight of this man.

"Speak of the devil" Shane breathed out as he stood up. "Stay here" He instructed Ryan, leaving to talk to the mysterious man. 

Ryan watched their interaction with curiosity and tried to connect the dots. They were too far away for him to hear anything, but he could try to decipher the body language. First, the other man put his hand on Shane's shoulder with a smile and greeted him. Shane's expression throughout this was cold, but he did nothing to stop him. 

Then Shane started talking firmly, it was quite yelling but it was evident there was anger behind his words. The other man looked shocked by this and stood silent until Shane was done. Ryan watched with wide eyes as Shane's demon form slowly started emerging, the horns protruding at first but the wings followed suit soon after. It seemed with every second he was getting angrier and more demon-like. 

The man, still in a state of shock, returned to Shane's argument with a few simple words, then produced a paper. Shane looked at it for a few moments, running a hand through his hair. That's when he realized his horns had returned. He glanced back at Ryan for less than a second then turned back the man. 

The man noticed Ryan sitting in the gazebo, and looked excited. Suddenly, he started approaching Ryan. Ryan felt his chest get tight with anxiety, if this man could get Shane that angry, he had no idea what he was in for. 

"Is this the famous Ryan I've heard so much about?" He said with a large smile. Ryan didn't know how to react, luckily Shane was right on his heels.

"Robert, stop, don't get him involved" Shane's voice was demanding as he placed his hand firmly on Robert's shoulder, stopping him before he could get up the stairs.