The One

Ryan laid in bed wearing Shane's hoodie. He thought about the day, but mostly he replayed Shane's promise over in his mind. He would be back soon. It was vague, but it was enough for now. Eventually, things would go back to normal. No, they would be even better than before.

Tears formed on his eyelids before he could stop himself from overthinking. There was just so much happening right now and he couldn't even begin to process it all. No one could possibly understand what he was going through, and even if they could he couldn't say anything. Steven had been the closest thing to a comfort he's had, but he doesn't know half of the story. 

He buried his face in his pillow and pulled his knees up to his chest. He just wanted things to get better. There was no instruction manual for dating a demon. No one said it would be easy, but he didn't expect it to hurt this bad. He had no direction, and it was driving him crazy. 

He was so stuck in his thoughts he didn't even hear the door open. 

"Ryan?" Shane rushed over to Ryan with worry pounding in his chest. "Ryan, what's wrong?" 

"Sh-ane" Ryan forced out. His throat was hoarse and he could barely speak, but the surprise of Shane's visit gave the energy to respond. "What are you doing here?" he wiped the tears from his eyes and attempted to slow his breathing. 

Shane wrapped his arms around Ryan and didn't respond. "Tell me what's wrong, we can fix it. Whatever it is" Shane felt such a strong desire to help Ryan, he would do anything. He didn't understand why, but he knew he had to fix this. He couldn't bear seeing Ryan like this. 

Ryan sighed but had a small smile on his face. Shane was so sure he could solve this problem, but he didn't even know what it was. His over-the-top optimism was just what Ryan needed, but it wasn't enough to override the hopeless feeling that was washing over him.  

Ryan placed his head on Shane's shoulder and put his arms around his body. How could Shane even begin to understand when he couldn't remember what they were? He was surrounded by Shane's support but he felt more alone now ever. 

"I want things to be ok again" Was all he could bear to explain. Shane had enough to worry about, Ryan didn't want to contribute to it.

"They will be, soon" Shane promised. He didn't know what he could do to make that promise come true, but he assured Ryan nonetheless. there was no rhyme or reason to Shane's feelings recently. All he knew was that he had to make things better for Ryan. He couldn't allow this to happen again no matter what. 

"How can you know?" Ryan replied, choking back a sob. They had been doomed from the start, and he knew that. Even still, he signed up for this. 

Shane knew he was supposed to be the strong one, but he couldn't help but empathize with Ryan. He knew the feeling of being lost all too well, especially recently. Tears brimmed on his eyelashes, but he wouldn't let them fall. 

"I don't" Shane admitted in a whisper. "I just know that I'm going to do everything I can to make it ok, I never want you to feel like this again. And I know it's all my fault, I'm so sorry" Shane had to stop talking or he would unravel. 

"Shane, no" Ryan said as he leaned back to look Shane in the eyes. "That's not what I'm saying at all"

"I know" He whispered. "But I know it's true. I want things to be simple, but I just complicate it all the time. You wouldn't feel like this if I could just" His voice broke and he looked at his hands as they balled into fists. "Remember"

Ryan placed his hands over Shane's hands. "We're going to make this ok," He said. "Together"  

"I don't care what I have to do," Shane said, still not meeting Ryan's eyes. The more memories he gained, the stronger he felt about Ryan. He loved him so much it didn't make sense. He wanted to understand why. "Everything will be fine"