Work Husband

Ricky made the first move this time by tossing his gun to the side and approaching Shane with a wide smile. He was just itching for a good fight, and he had been training extra hard for the past three weeks so he knew he at least had a small chance of winning. 

Shane didn't hesitate to attempt to restrain Ricky but was unsuccessful when he reached to grab his wrists. Shane wasn't looking to have a drawn-out brawl, he just wanted to stop Ricky as quickly as possible. To carry out his goal, he recovered from the failed attempt instantly and was back to trying to grab Ricky. 

Ricky, however, was looking to make this as long as possible. He grinned mischievously and glanced around at the excited crowd.

"I'm betting on Goldsworth" a small voice announced.

"Are you insane?" another replied. The doubts in his ability only pushed him to fight more fiercely to prove a point. 

It was Ricky's turn to attack, so he went for Shane's stomach with a right swing. Shane backed out before the full force could hit it, but Ricky still got a soft blow in. Even if it didn't do that much physical damage, it would knock his confidence down a little. 

Shane growled at the attempt and wrenched Ricky's wrist so he stumbled forward. With his left elbow, he caught Ricky's jaw. The action was so quick Ricky had no time to react. He would've stumbled back from the impact, but Shane still had a tight grip on his arm so all he could do was bend down slightly.

"You motherfucker" Ricky cursed loudly, spitting blood onto the floor. He wouldn't allow this little setback to cost him the whole match. 

Shane had no response to Ricky's rising anger and quickly spun him around and slammed Ricky's chest into the wall. The crowd made a sound of amazement as Shane made quick work of restraining Ricky. 

"Give up?" Shane hissed quietly and Ricky struggled to escape.

"Go to hell" Ricky replied, kicking Shane's knee and sending him stumbling back. He spun around to deliver another blow to Shane but stopped when he saw Shane kneeling with one hand to his face. Ricky hadn't hit him in the face at all, but blood dripped down from his nose regardless.

"Not right now" Shane strained, feeling his vision getting blurry. His eyes darted up to Ricky, who immediately put his hand down and rushed to kneel in front of Shane. 

"Hey, hey," Ricky said, placing a comforting hand on Shane's arm and lifting him to his feet. His tone was quiet so no one could hear the infamous Goldsworth being soft. "Are you alright?" 

"What's happening?" an unidentified voice asked with anger. The crowd had been eager to see a full-on brawl between the two strongest people in the company and were now confused. Why did they stop?

Shane let Ricky wrap his arm around his waist and lead him back to the office. He glared at anyone who got in the way, which was enough to detour them from being an obstacle. He shut the office door and lead Shane to his leather chair. The buzz of excitement had turned into confusion in less than a second. 

He sunk into it, feeling the pain slightly lessen but the throbbing headache continued. Ricky removed a handkerchief from his pocket, the card for therapy falling out as he did. Shane accepted it gratefully and attempted to stop the blood. 

Even though the pain he was able to force a smile. "I win"

Ricky couldn't help but chuckle at Shane's joke, but he followed it up with a glare. "You cheated"

Shane winced in pain as another wave of nausea overtook his thoughts. Ricky placed his hand on Shane's forehead, white-hot. 

"We need to get you back to the overworld," Ricky said as his concern grew. He was the last person to advocate for Shane staying in the overworld, but even he had to recognize that this was what was best for his health.

Shane nodded weakly, not bothering to put in the effort of fighting the decision. His body felt excessively heavy yet at the same time, he couldn't sit still due to the persistent pain. 

Ricky gently helped Shane up from the seat and felt a shot of guilt as Shane hissed in pain. Shane assured him multiple times throughout the process that he wasn't hurting him, but Ricky still worried. 

They stepped through the portal after a bit of a struggle, but as soon as they emerged into the overworld the pain started to melt away. It was like a giant weight had been removed and he was breathing freely for the first time. Still, despite the momentary relief, Shane couldn't support himself and clung closer to Ricky. 

Ricky made no effort to hide his disdain for the scent of the overworld as he scrambled to get into the bedroom. The apartment was small so it didn't take much time to find their room and get Shane onto the bed. He relaxed onto the mattress with a sigh, half because he was relieved to have the pain fade away but half because he was cursing himself for letting this happen again. 

"I'm sorry" He mumbled, shutting his eyes as he waited for his body to stop aching. Most of the physical pain in his muscles had already dispersed but the nausea and headache remained.

"Don't say that" even though he meant for the words to be comforting they came out like a demand. Which, in a sense, it was. There was no need for Shane to apologize to him. 

"I need-" Shane started to say but another wave of pain came back for one last punch. "Call Ryan" he managed to spit out as he screwed his shut. 

"That's what you're worried about?" Ricky's expression quickly shifted to annoyance.

"Just do it" Shane snipped back. Ricky obliged but only because he felt guilty for fighting with Shane before he got sick. He slipped Shane's phone out of his pocket, careful not to let his hand linger for too long, and called Ryan.

He put the phone on speaker and placed it next to Shane, who didn't bother to move. "Hello?" Ryan asked. He was surprised Shane was calling so early in the morning. 

"Hi bab-'" Shane started, forcing his voice to sound as cheerful as possible so he didn't worry Ryan too much. 

"He's sick" Ricky cut him off, not wanting to hear their annoying little pet names for each other. 

"What? I'm coming home" Ryan responded instantly, concern growing in his chest. It was almost time for Shane to make his decision, which mean the illness was only going to get worse until he chose to stay somewhere permanently.

A shiver went down his spine as he thought back to the events at Rose's house. Shane's pulse had been so faint...

"You can't miss any more work" Shane responded, trying to sit up but failing. The pain was too great. Ricky placed his hand on Shane's shoulder and gave him a warning glare.

"I'll take care of him," Ricky said, biting back the smile that was tugging at his lips. 

"No" Ryan replied quickly, trying to think of a reason why not. 

"I'm not letting you miss work" Shane sighed. it would make him feel too guilty if Ryan got in trouble on his accord. "I'll be fine"

"But Shane-" Ryan started. 

"He'll be fine" Ricky hallowly assured him before hanging up. He got a sick sense of fulfillment from ending the conversation. He won this round. 

"Ricky!" Shane hissed before falling into a coughing fit. 

"Don't worry about him" Ricky responded calmly as he lifted Shane's torso off the bed. "I'm here"

Shane couldn't even argue back because his voice was taken away from the coughing. He gasped for air to no avail and saw his vision start to fade.