We'll Be Back

"What do you think I should pack?" Ryan asked, looking at his small bag. They were only staying one night, so he didn't have all that much. He had no idea what he should bring as this was an unmarked territory. To pile onto the anxiety, he had Ricky to think about. As much as he wanted to claim that jealously had fizzled out it was just as present as ever. Except now he had to impress Ricky. 

In the few short interactions Ryan had seen, he knew Ricky meant a lot to Shane. He would obviously value his opinion highly, which put a lot of stress on Ryan to make a good impression. It was important to keep in mind that Ricky was very adamant when attempting to convince Shane to return to Hell. There was now a delicate balance between impressing Ricky and fighting to keep Shane. It was a daunting task, to say the least.  

"I don't know" Shane said with a shrug as he checked himself in the mirror. He found it endearing how worried Ryan was getting over this simple trip. He would've enjoyed this moment much more if there wasn't a pounding headache rattling his skull. 

"Shane, you've lived there your whole life, how would you not know?" Ryan laughed. He wasn't covering up his nervousness very efficiently but then again he didn't feel the need to. Learning more about where Shane grew up and the people he stays around would be an exciting prospect. Besides Ricky, he hadn't heard much about Shane's other friends. 

"Yeah, yeah" He grumbled, still feeling groggy. Demons didn't need as much rest as humans but that didn't mean they could stay up all night and not feel the effects. The whiskey he had at Ricky's house certainly wasn't helping. He glanced at the bags under his eyes and splashed his face with water in an attempt to wash away the sleepiness. Regardless of his zombie-like expression, the rest of him was decently put together. 

"Are you okay?" Ryan asked as he approached Shane's side. His normal cocky tone was swapped out for genuine annoyance today. He noticed it from the moment they woke up. Normally Shane was already pretty cranky in the mornings but it was worst today. 

"Mhm" Shane kissed Ryan's forehead then brush a piece of unruly behind his ear. Ryan smiled like he had a middle crush and looked away, feeling his cheeks getting warm. It was quiet moments like this that brought him the most joy. Despite Shane's obvious hangover, he was still being sweet. 

"I love you" Ryan whispered without even thinking. The words now came naturally, were before he was preventing himself from accidentally blurting them out at any given moment. Shane lifted Ryan's chin with one hand while the other snaked around his waist. Ryan looked up with adoration into Shane's tired but kind eyes.

"I love you so much" Shane breathed out, meaning every word. He planted a gentle yet passionate kiss on Ryan's lips but pulled away just as quickly. Even though it only lasted a few seconds, Ryan was still left breathless. It was unfair how quickly the blissful moment was over, but at least he still had the last of him on his lips. 

"Come on, we have plans" Shane said, giving a knowing smile down at Ryan. He released Ryan from his embrace and walked out of the bedroom with their bags. Ryan stood there for a few moments longer in a state of subdued shock. Once he woke himself up out of the daze he followed after Shane. There were still a thousand questioned that needed to be answered. 

"Wait!" Ryan called out just before Shane stepped through the mirror. He froze then turned back to face Ryan with one eyebrow raised. "Is there anything I should know before we go?" Ryan asked, fidgeting with the ends of his sleeves. 

Shane rolled his eyes and shook his head as if he was exasperated. 

"It's going to be fine, Ry" He promised, taking Ryan's hand with his free one. "They're gonna love you" 

Ryan nodded and squeezed his hand tightly before entering the mirror. The sensation was weird for a few seconds but they quickly entered the new environment. It felt like breaking the tension between water and air, but once he got to the other side it made him dizzy. 

Once his eyes adjusted to the significantly brighter light of Hell, a huge mansion appeared in front of them. It was victorian style, with at least 3 floors and a wide lawn. Ryan scanned the surrounding area and noticed how almost everything was either red, black, or a combination of warm colors. 

"Shane... what is this?" Ryan continued looking around, every little thing fascinating him to no end. Shane smiled fondly at his childlike wonder for a world he had never seen before. It reminded him of when he first got to the overworld. 

"My house!" Shane said, tightening his grip on Ryan's hand before leading him towards the door. 

"Your house?" Ryan couldn't believe it. There was no way Shane went from living here to sleeping on Ryan's couch in an apartment. "Are you sure?"

Shane laughed as he opened the door with an exaggerated gesture. "My Lord," he said with a bow.

Ryan didn't even take the time to roll his eyes at Shane's antics as he wandered around the house with disbelief. He left all this to come live with Ryan? Shane left Ryan to his devices as he went to their room to unpack the bags. If someone had to imagine what a demon's house looks like, this would be it. From the weirdly soulless painting to the long empty halls. Some rooms didn't even have anything in them besides a single chair for no reason. It was a caricature of a haunted house almost. 

He supposed it made sense, Shane did always have a flair for the dramatic. Oddly enough, the creepiness of the rooms was entirely superficial. Ryan had an eye for energies and he knew that there wasn't anything in this house other than himself and Shane. 

Ryan was startled by a knock at the door. He wasn't sure where Shane was, or where the front door was, or where he was. 

"Shane?" he called out as he attempted to retrace his steps. This place really was an endless maze. All the hallways looked identical except for the paintings. Finally, he turned a corner and saw Shane standing at the top of the staircase. 

"Oh, Ry, can you get the door?" Shane yelled down the stairs as soon as he saw Ryan.

"I would but I can't find the door" Ryan shouted as he jogged up the stairs. "It already took me so long to find where you were"

"You'll get the hang of it," Shane said, kissing Ryan's forehead affectionately. "Now come on, let's see who's here"