Promises, Promises

"And finally," Ryan said, sounding quite proud of himself. He took a seat on the opposite side of the ouija board, Shane watching with curiosity. Ryan pulled out a small water gun, still looking pleased with his expert idea. "Holy water" 

"What a wonderful idea" Shane said, mocking Ryan. I mean, yeah, it could work. It did not make it look any less stupid, though. Shane took note that Ryan kept looking around nervously. He nearly jumped out of his skin when the AC kicked on. It was endearing to see just how skittish he was, especially since he's barely seen anything yet. 

Shane thought it was very funny that Ryan believed everything was supernatural. In most cases, there are no ghosts in haunted locations, it's just people looking to get scared. It is even rarer for there to be a demonic infestation, because 99% of the time, demons have no interest in even going to the human world, much less staying there. 

"Let's get this show on the road" Ryan said, playing his fingers on the planchet. It obviously wasn't the first time he's used one. Shane has interacted with an ouija board from the other side, but never has he been the one trying to contact something. He wondered if anyone he knew would answer. This, of course, brought his thoughts to Ricky. 

"What are we supposed to do?" Shane asked, mostly so he could Ryan explain it. It had become a pastime, really. Finding excuses to listen to Ryan ramble was starting to become a full-time job. 

"You really don't know?" Ryan asked, raising an eyebrow. Shane tensed for a moment, thinking he had been found out. "Well, first we have to introduce ourselves" Shane sighed internally. He wondered why cared so much. Subtly was never his strong suit, he much preferred being direct with possible love interests. 

For whatever reason, he felt the need to hide these feelings from Ryan. Shane wasn't complaining, though.

They went through the motions of spelling their names, then it was time to ask the questions. Shane hadn't interacted with an ouija board in years, but the last time he did the human just wanted to ask about satan. It was pretty boring, and not to mention rude. 

"What's your name?" Ryan asked, staring intently at the board. he was trying to cover up his slight shaking. He could've sworn he was hearing footsteps above them. It wasn't helping that it was pretty dark in the room. Shane repressed the urge to reach out and comfort him, then suppressed the urge to cringe at himself for having that thought. 

Shane noticed a huge shift in energy within the room. The once slight presence was multiplying, not in power but in numbers. Then it all clicked. The growing power, the multiplying entities. They were Leeches. 

Leeches were some of the lowest-level demons. They were practically harmless, and they're what humans tend to encounter most of the time. They are mostly safe to be around, but in large numbers, they could get annoying to deal with. the name came from their tendency to take power from higher-up demons to fuel themselves. 

"Dammit" Shane hissed from under his breath. He cursed himself for not recognizing the attack earlier. Luckily, since Shane wasn't in his demon form, so the leeches couldn't take much of his power away. Still, only a fraction of Shane's power could cause some serious damage if not handled properly. 

He was under contract with Ryan to protect him, so he would have to deal with the leeches. So far, they haven't made a move yet, but he still tensed his body, preparing for them.

"You alright over there?" Ryan asked, looking up from the board. Before Shane could answer, the ouija board flew over to -NO-. Ryan's eyes went wide.

"Was that you?" he asked, an accusing look across his face. Shane, just as surprised, shook his head. It seems the creature had gotten more power than he expected. It was so quick, too quick. Shane was starting to suspect something was helping them. As he tried to figure this all out, the lights of the theater started flickering.