Human Nature

"So... what do you think about Ryan?" Katie asked cautiously. She and Ricky were at his house to talk about Shane and Ryan. She had no idea Shane was dating a human, and to make things worse he actually wanted to stay in the overworld. Katie knew she had to tread carefully around the subject before she could admit her true feelings. 

"I don't care for him, but Shane can't stay in the human world for much longer" Ricky responded, looking out the window with a contemplative expression. The situation was looking more and more helpless, not to mention the mess with Robert. 

"It's really not safe" Katie agreed, nodding her head. "What are we going to do?" She asked, walking up behind Ricky and looking over his shoulder at the window. He turned to face her looking defeated.

"I've tried everything, he just won't come home. I've done everything I could to figure out why he wants to stay with that human so badly but there's nothing" he ran a hand through his hair, still not knowing what he could do. He was getting desperate for a solution because he knew if Shane got any more attached Ricky might lose him. 

"Ricky... it's because he's in love" She said, biting her lip. She wanted to hold back the words, but they had to face the facts if they wanted to come up with a solid plan. 

"Shane doesn't fall in love" Ricky laughed, knowing the concept was ridiculous. "He's in love with the risk, the adrenaline, sure, but he doesn't fall in love with people" as soon as the words left his mouth he started to doubt them. It was a fact Ricky had accepted for many years, but then again it was never challenged like this. 

"Did you see the way they were looking at each other?" Katie asked, and immediately regretted it. Ricky shot her a look of annoyance, but he didn't fight her claim. A part of him knew she was right but a much stronger part of him refuses to accept the truth. 

"You know what? let's just ask him" Ricky said, pulling out his phone. The question was gnawing at him and it would only stop if he heard the words from Shane himself. They had many conversations about what they thought about love and Shane had always said he didn't think true love was real. He had admitted to Ricky many times that he has no intention of actually ever falling in love.

"That's not a good idea" Katie tried to say, but Ricky was already being thrown into flashback. He just needed to convince himself it was true again then he would call Shane and Shane would confirm it. 

The memory of them sitting in a dark hotel room, Shane leaning against the railing on the balcony, and Ricky sitting on the edge of the bed. It was just days after they had graduated and gotten their ranks and Shane was still in a state of shock. Neither of them expected to get such high ranks and they decided to go on a small vacation to process what this meant. 

Shane's family still didn't know he was ranked as a 9 because he knew if he told them everything would fall apart... right now he couldn't think about that. 

"Ricky?" Shane had asked while uncharacteristically smoking a cigarette. Ricky did his best to fully recollect what happened, but his memory was spotty. "Do you think you'll ever fall in love?"

"I'm not sure, what about you?" Ricky responded.

"No, I don't think so" Shane had sighed. "I don't feel like I'm missing anything in my life, you know? I have you for companionship so why would I need someone to fall in love with? Sorry, that sounds weird, ignore me"

Ricky held onto that memory as proof that Shane couldn't be falling in love. He didn't need anyone else. Shane doesn't lie... Shane doesn't lie.

"Ricky, for real, don't do that" Katie's voice cut through his thoughts and dragged him back to reality. 

"Too late," Ricky said, the phone ringing. He needed now more than ever to hear Shane say it again.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

"Shane... your phone is ringing" Ryan whispered. He could hear Shane's slow but steady heartbeat as his head was laying on his bare chest. They had turned on a random tv show and Shane's eyes were glued to the screen. It was Ryan's first time 'sleeping' at Shane's house, so he was still getting accommodated with the way things worked.

"Can you get it?" He asked, obviously too enthralled with the show to pay much any attention to the unknown caller. Ryan groaned as he got out of the bed and riffled through the pile of clothes to find Shane's phone.

"It's Ricky" Ryan looked up at Shane and tried not to sound annoyed. 

"Tell him I'm asleep" Shane said, still not looking up from the screen. Ryan answered, feeling a slight jolt of anxiety that he couldn't explain. Shane was much too interested in the show to deal with whatever Ricky needed right now. Before he could even get the excuse out, Ricky started talking rather quickly. 

"Shane, do you remember what you told me at the Olympus hotel? Right after high school?" His words almost melted together, almost as if he were out of breath. 

"Um-" Ryan tried to interject, but he continued talking. Where was this odd monologue going? 

"It's still true, right? You don't love Ryan because you said all you needed was me, I mean that's what you said. you've never lied before" he got more confident as the spiel went on. It shifted from him asking for confirmation to him stating facts. You don't love Ryan.

Ryan hung up, his heart nearly stopping. What else could he have done? He quickly put Shane's phone on silent because he knew Ricky would call back. 

"What did he want?" Shane asked, watching the weird reaction Ryan had to the call. 

"He just called accidentally" Ryan lied, staring at the phone in his hands as if maybe it would explain further. His mind was racing but he couldn't let his expression portray that or Shane would be suspicious. 

What did he mean? Did Shane really say he could never love Ryan? no, that's impossible, Shane already said that he loved him! But then again, who's to say he was telling the truth? Ryan knew he couldn't assume anything until Shane himself confirmed it. Right now, he just wanted to sweep it under the rug and forget the whole thing ever happened. 

"Get your ass over here then" Shane said, sitting up. Ryan obliged and tried to keep his expression nonchalant. Apparently, he was a good actor because Shane didn't question anything else. 

Ryan thought about his ex and all the things she had told him. He didn't want to be paranoid but the anxiety had no regard for that wish. He's just a friend, she would tell him. You don't trust me?! He felt insane and the one person he could talk to about it was Shane, who he couldn't tell. It was that feeling of being trapped all over again.