Safe haven. (i)

It was just 4 in the morning, in Donghyuck's car, both of you were tired out of your minds when you finished the last bites of your burger

Your stomach is full, and so is your mind, filled with thoughts and old memories of when your parents were nice to each other.

Donghyuck reaches out and brushes away a few crumbs at the corner of your lip, wiping it on his napkin right after as his mind fills with thoughts as well.

You're tired. You're both so tired.

You're tired of school, tired of the stupid fights your parents have, tired of being dragged into it only to be hated by both of them. Donghyuck is no more exhausted than you are, tired of the façade he has to put on in front of people, tired of the fact that his family is fake, and rich, and known, he's tired that they don't let him see you, even when they are very much aware of how you're the only one there for him.

As you lean your head on the open window sill of his car, your hand blindly searches around the armrest for his hand, intertwining them in a lock after you've successfully found it. It's warm, despite the cold night, and you don't want to let go.

You turn your head to your best friend, "You wanna stay?" He gives you a weird look, playing with the ring on one of your fingers, "What do you mean? This is my car, shouldn't I be the one asking you that?"

A breathy chuckle leaves your chest, as you wheeze softly at Donghyuck's obliviousness. It tugs at his heartstrings, tugging them upward, just like the corner of his lips as he smiles at you. You do something to him, he doesn't know what it is, but he likes it.

"No, Hyuck, I mean here. With me."

"Just you?"

"Yup."

Donghyuck chuckles and brings your conjoined hands up to his lips, pressing a soft kiss to the back of your hand, "Forever."

Is this what best friends do? But then again, you might not be best friends after that not so friendly kiss at the back of his house last week.

You sigh, blinking up sleepily at Donghyuck as he soothingly traces shapes and patterns on the back of your hand. He looks ethereal at night, with the moonlight and all. And in such a bare and vulnerable state as well. You're glad he trusts you this much. "I wish we could stay like this forever too,"

Your statement has Donghyuck thinking once again, you wish. You can only wish to be together forever, there's no guarantee you will. He doesn't want to lose you, he never does. He needs you with him, he won't feel like himself without you.

A sudden thought strikes Donghyuck, and he decides that right now, in his car, holding his best friend's hand, after eating KFC at 4 am, that he's going to stay with you, no matter what. He's not going to stop for his god forsaken parents, they're not his real family, you are. He's going to get you out of whatever mess your parents have, and he's going to protect you from anything and everything.

"How about we elope?" At Donghyuck's sudden question, your eyes snap back open as they stare back at his very serious expressions, laughs threatening to spill out your mouth and fill the air. You swallow down your laughs, squeezing Donghyuck's hand to suppress it, "W-what? Elope? Have you finally gone crazy, Hyuck?"

"Well I suppose we could leave out the marriage part..."

And then it hits you, Donghyuck is proposing to run away. With him. Just the two of you. "W-wait, are you sure about this, Donghyuck?" The sound of his full name leaving your lips shakes something in him, and he nods and continues to play with the ring on your finger, "I'm pretty sure we can pull it off. As long as we're together, right?"

Your heart can't help but pound at the thought of being alone with Donghyuck, possibly for the rest of your lives, just hiding together and protecting each other. You would very much want that but... "Hyuck, what about our parents?"

Donghyuck clicks on his tongue and sighs, giving you a desperate look, "That's the whole reason I said 'elope'. We're doing this without their consent, we're getting away from them."

You would like it a lot if you got away from them. "And please, if anything they'll be glad we left. At least mine would..." Your heart clenches as you see Donghyuck's expressions dimming, he really did have it hard.

Fine, you think. If it's with Donghyuck, you'll do it. As long as he wouldn't leave you.

A tug at his hand is all it takes for him to brighten back up and give you his utmost attention. You can still see the pain and sorrow beneath them, it hurts you to see him in such a state. You know everything he's been through, his parents forcing him to act all stuck up and self-absorbed, their family problems, the toxicity of the family, he deserves a break.

You're suddenly speechless as you observe Donghyuck's glimmering eyes in the moonlight. His lips open slightly as he takes in slow breaths, his entire being focusing on you. You then realize on the spot, you love him. With all your heart, with your whole soul.

And without wasting a second for your mind to take control, your body lunges forward to place your lips delicately on Donghyuck's lips. They're sweet, just like the last time you kissed them, and they're plump and perfect. Donghyuck brings his palm up to hold you by the back of your neck, pushing his lips deeper into yours. You two are far too deep to get out now, too deep in each other, the need to get away, the idea of running away together, everything.

You pull away from Donghyuck with a tight lock of your lips, pecking his nose gently to ease down from the sudden passionate kiss from before, "Alright, let's run away together."

🌻: oooo hyuck hurt comfort huh? This is the first part of 4, so please look forward to the next runaway! Hyuck x runaway! Reader series!!!!

bye bye now sunflowers!! <33