[00:01]

☀ : happy new year my loves 💗

You're scared for the new year

You're even more scared that you won't get to kiss anyone as the new year starts.

It might sound really fucking silly to other people, but it's a thing you have with your friends, where they would always laugh at your face for having nobody to kiss, for having to endure everyone kissing around you.

One person who also has that problem? Lee Donghyuck. Your best friend. It's always been you and Donghyuck whose had to deal with all your friends smooching and kissing around you while the two of you try not to watch awkwardly.

It always ends up just you looking at him, and him looking at you, because even if you wanted to look away from a couple kissing, there would be another one just right next to them.

The new year can kiss your ass.

And now here you stand, just 5 minutes away from the new year. Everyone's jumping, buzzing with excitement. You're surrounded by your closest friends, all with silly hats and new year sunglasses (it says 2015, but who cares?).

You take another swig at your sprite, as you feel a tug at your sweater sleeve. As you turn, you find Donghyuck, grinning at you with his boyishness charm. "Hey," You greet him with a laugh.

"Hey," He responds. He tugs you closer the moment you start to shiver slightly due to the chilly winter breeze. "you excited for the new year?"

You contemplate about it. Sure, there could be a lot of new opportunities and such, but are you really excited about it? "I don't think so," You shake your head. "kinda wanna go sleep."

Donghyuck chuckles at your response, and he digs his hands into his pocket. "Yeah, me too."

There's a silence after that, as you both bask in each other's presence. You don't need to talk, just having the comfort of one another is enough for the both of you to know that the new year will be okay, as long as you both have each other.

Donghyuck suddenly turns to you with a sly smile, one you recognize and associate with his mischievous thoughts. "Got anyone to kiss this year?"

You can't help but physically grimace at the question, your nose scrunching up as you bump your shoulder to his harshly. "It's not like you have anyone either! You have no right to make fun of me!"

"Okay, okay!" Donghyuck snickers, as you start to punch his arm lightly. "Seems like it makes the both of us."

Though you were just sulking a second before, you can't stop the smile that curls at your lips. There's a warmth that swirls in you, a comfort that you're not alone. Donghyuck is so quick to reassure you all the time, you wish you could show him how much gratitude you have for him.

He's not wrong, all your friends are kissing someone this year. Mark and Renjun are kissing their girlfriends, Jeno and Jaemin are kissing each other for fun (you're sure they just really want to kiss each other), and following them, is Chenle and Jisung, who agreed to kiss each other's cheeks for fun.

It really is just you and Donghyuck.

You don't mind it being just you and Donghyuck. Actually, for a few months now, you've been harboring feelings for your best friend. Now, you know it's dangerous, but you really can't help it. With his humor and charm, and that ridiculous gleaming smile he has, the way he cares for you so deeply, how he can remember every little thing about his friends, he's just so captivating that you can't help but fall for him more every day that passes.

Donghyuck falls for you everyday too. And it's crazy how you haven't noticed it the past few days, when he's been very openly flirty with you, taking more care of you than ever before, the urge to kiss you resurfaces every other day.

And Donghyuck's very sure that urge is gonna hit him today especially, stroke at midnight.

Time must really fly when you're together, because just in a moment, Mark is alerting the both of you how it's merely just 30 seconds until the new year.

"This is it," You breathe out, gluing yourself to Donghyuck's side. He doesn't mind, bringing you even closer. "Yeah, this is it."

Though you're infinitely scared of the new year, and though your heart beating like crazy, you still manage to smile, jumping with Chenle as you count down from 10.

10.

Donghyuck glances at you, admiring your grin and how your hand grips his hoodie sleeve.

9.

You glow with the firework lights of the city, shining so brightly. You seem to grow even brighter when you face him and grin even further.

8.

Donghyuck admires you as you laugh at how Chenle's already leaning into Jisung, puckering his lips out as Jisung can't help but squeal at the contact.

7.

Fuck, there it is. The urge has hit him.

6.

Lee Donghyuck wants you to turn around, he wants you to look at him, he wants to lean in and press his lips against yours smoothly, he wants to swoon you so much that maybe you'll like him back.

5.

It's too late to turn back, Donghyuck's fingers have softly wrapped around your wrist, tugging you back towards him.

4.

It's all too quick, one moment you're facing Jaemin, the next there's a pull at your arm. You feel shock fill your system as a warm sensation brushes by your chin.

3.

Donghyuck has one hand on your wrist, the other capturing your chin to turn your head to him. And when it's turned, you're so incredibly close. Your noses brush, breath fanning against your lips, as he breathes out. "Hey,"

2.

Your eyes flicker from Donghyuck's eyes, to his nose, to his lips, and he's so close, you could lean in half an inch and you'd be kissing him. "Hi—"

1.

It happens. Donghyuck's lips fit between yours, his hand now enveloping your jaw. He's stiff at first, barely just brushing his lips against yours, and you can sense his worry.

But it melts away the moment you sigh into his mouth, wrapping your fingers around his hoodie strings to pull him closer.

Now Donghyuck pours all his emotions into the kiss, your noses bumping as he tilts his head to the side. There's something about kissing Donghyuck now, on new years, with all the motion around you.

You don't want to pull away, you almost don't, if it weren't for your urge for oxygen.

When you pull away, the adrenaline gets the best of you, you think, because Donghyuck has never looked as good as he does right now.

There are laughs around you, cheering, but you couldn't care less about those, because Donghyuck still has his face incredibly close to yours, your noses still brushing against one another.

There's a million things you want to say to Donghyuck, ask him. Did he mean it? Did he feel bad for you? Shit, does he like you?

All you can muster up, however, is a breathy, "Wow,"

Your best friend giggles at your response, bumping his forehead against yours. "Wow?"

You sigh, and a smile finally finds its way to your lips, "Wow."

A grin creeps up your lips a moment later, as you tug Donghyuck back down by his hoodie strings once again. "I think I might be excited for the new year now,"