Safe haven. (iii)

You lower your head and gulp the last of your soup, tightening your cap to cover your face as the news announced something you've been hearing for about 3 days now

Unlike what Donghyuck said, his parents made the bigger fuss. They blamed everything on your parents, and seemed to hate your family even more now. With their money, they could possibly sue them.

Donghyuck comes back from the cashier, quickly ruffling your hair and chuckling when you choke on your soup. He plops next to you, now with a mask he hadn't had before.

He brushes away the few crumbs at the corner of your lip, it seems like he's always there to do it whenever there are crumbs there. He passes you a mask, and places the few boxes of hair dye and a pair of scissors on the table.

Alarmed, you look up to your boyfriend, who only gives you a cheeky eye-smile behind the mask.

Before you know it, you're already in yet another motel, specifically in the bathroom in a room, with the scissors and hair dye. You decided to not dye your hair, but just cut it drastically from what it was before. You did agree to help Donghyuck dye his hair though.

He chose almond brown, very different to his natural black hair, but you're both sure he would suit it, it would look natural.

"Y/n!"

You ruffle your wet hair with your towel once more, before trudging into the bathroom where Donghyuck was. He looks up from his digital watch, gesturing to it, "It's been thirty minutes, my hair should be ready to rinse now."

Donghyuck is already crouched down on the bathtub, a cheeky smile on his face when he spots your deadpan by the door. "Look! It's a bit brighter!" You only chuckle and walk up to help rinse his colored hair.

Your fingers run through Donghyuck's cold, wet hair, laughing when he shivers and whines about the water being too cold. After a few moments, he starts to enjoy the feeling of your fingers running through his hair, smoothly and softly, it feels so comforting to him, even if it's just rinsing the dye out.

The last time he felt this kind of peace was when he went over to his cousins house and played with his dog all day long. No annoying family members, nobody telling him to go and do something, just petting a senior dog and watching TV with him.

Even with water dripping down his face and the smell of hair dye, he still feels more peace than he's ever had with his parents. He feels free.

"Okay Hyuck, shake your head dry and then I'll wrap your hair in a towel." Donghyuck hums as a reply, squeezing his eyes shut, before moving his head side to side rapidly like a dog. He giggles at the mess he made on the walls, laughing harder when you groan that there's dye on your shirt now.

He stumbles back up, only to step behind you and wrap his arms around you. "Donghyuck! Your hair is in my neck! My shirt is gonna stainn!"

Donghyuck doesn't do anything about it, instead smiling against your shoulder and swaying side to side with him. He also doesn't refuse when you turn around and plop the white towel on his head, rubbing his head ferociously with playfulness.

Laughter fills the empty, echoed bathroom, also filling yet another memory to cherish in your heart. It's times like this when you're especially glad you ran away with Donghyuck.

That night you fall asleep in peace, in his arms, with him complimenting on your new haircut, telling you how you two should keep moving, reassuring you everything is going to be okay.