Nightwatch

☀ : hey! i know i havent updated in a while, ive been pretty busy with school :0 if you feel pretty confused about the concept of this, it's a dystopian!AU, so the worlds just really fucked up lol

It's 4 in the morning, and strangely, you don't feel all that tired despite it being so early. You've been awake for more than 6 hours, and yet not a single thought in your brain is about sleep.

Instead, it's about the rifle in your hands, the gunshots you hear in a distance, everything you could miss at a blink of your eyes.

You've been trusted by your team to handle nightwatch this week, and you will not let them down. You sit on the balcony of your safe house, and old treehouse you had found a while back, scanning over the city.

Anxiety constantly runs through your veins, worry and doubt about letting your friends down.

There's a creak behind you, the ever so familiar creak in the wood you hear everyday. A heavy footstep follws after, and you scramble to your feet to aim your rifle at whatever was approaching.

Much to your relief, it's only Lee Donghyuck. Instantly, a sigh slips from your lips, and it's then when you realize the fast beating of your heart.

"Woah there," Donghyuck mumbles, before slowly pointing your weapon away from him. "Just me."

"Jesus Christ, Hyuck, you scared me."

Donghyuck chuckles at your worried tone, gesturing for you to put the gun down. You comply easily, knowing if anything happened, Donghyuck would be able to think quick enough to save you.

He grabs softly at your wrist, tugging you towards him, before planting a soft kiss at your jaw. "You're good at nightwatch,"

You huff, knowing that it's not entirely true. There are a lot of people better at than you. Jeno, Mark, heck, he himself could be way better at defending the team better than you.

Donghyuck invites you to sit next to him, right on the wooden floors of the balcony. You plop right next to him, to which he instantly takes you in his arms. "I can take over, if you want. You should get some sleep,"

Your fingers tug on his, tracing each and every curve on his palm. You smile when he curls his fingers between his, bringing your hand up to place a soft kiss on your knuckles. "Even if I wanted to, I know I wouldn't be able to."

"Alright then, just stay with me." Donghyuck sighs into your shoulder, pulling you incredibly close to him. "we haven't had some alone time in..."

"3 weeks," you finish for him, chuckling at the slight gape of his lips, a sign that you've surprised him. "when you got sick and demanded I would have to be stuck by your side constantly."

You grow soft at the memory, and you know your boyfriend does as well, you know by the soft laughter of his that vibrates into your shoulder.

There's a certain softness of the moment, and it's unlike anything you've felt the past few months. Maybe it's because you really haven't been alone with each other for 3 whole weeks, or the fact that Renjun isn't awake to gag at every little thing you do, or maybe it's of the fear and anxiety in you finally drifting away.

Donghyuck can sense that you've been pretty stressed lately, he felt it when he first approached you on the balcony. He feels terrible that he wasn't there most of the timeto help you throigh whatever emotions you've been feeling.

And he doesn't mean to wreck the finalky relaxed mood you're in tonight, but he really wants to know how you've been. Maybe he can help with them in the future, he is your boyfriend after all. He loves you more than anything.

"Hey," Donghyuck calls out softly, bumping his kneee against yours, "you okay?"

You know what he means. You know the concern he's been having for you, you know he feels guilty about not doing anything about it. You probably feel more guilty to have him feel this way.

"I'm okay Hyuck, I promise."

Your response doesn't satisfy him. You feel his hold on you tighten slowly, his facial expressions twisting sourly.

Donghyuck reaches one of his hands up to the side of your face, his movement slow as he presses his palm against your cheek. He's gentle, caressing your skin ever so softly. "Please tell me how you've been feeling, I need to know."

But at the end of the day, Lee Donghyuck is someone you love, and as much as you don't want him to see you in such a messy state, you know he needs to know everything in order to make you feel safe.

You trust him, and he trusts you. And he's willing to do anything to help. You know this, because you would do the same for him.

"It's not you," You finally murmur, giving into his hold and basking in his embrace. "or the team that has me like this."

"I'm just..." You can't find thr right words to describe your emotions, and you feel more bubbling with each second that passes. Donghyuck senses these emotions, quick to reassure you with a hum and a nod.

This calms you down, causes you to sigh, before shutting your eyes. "Confused? I guess?"

It's only recently when you finally reakized how fucked up your planet is at this point, with all these wars and whatever conflict is going around (there's a lot), it's scary to live in such a society.

"I just want the world to go fuck itself, and I want answers,"

Donghyuck knows how you feel, the whole team does, which is why you stick together.

"And I really, really want food, I haven't eaten in 9 hours." your words come out barely in a whisper, maybe even a sniffle. "And you. I missed you."

"Look," Donghyuck mumbles when you're finished. His fingers trace along your cheek, all the way up to swipe away the tear building up at the corner of your eyes. "I may not have the answers to why the people of Earth decided to become bitches, but I'm in charge of breakfast tomorrow—today, so I'll whip up your favorite."

Jesus Christ you love Donghyuck so much.

"And," he adds quickly when he senses you're about to interrupt him, "we're free for the next 5 hours. The gang did a lot of exploring yesterday, so I suspect they'll be sleeping like rocks until they smell some breakfast. In the mean time,"

Donghyuck tugs you further into his embrace, clasping your chin to give you a quick, soft kiss on the lips. "we can cuddle and count every explosion we hear in the distance, just how you like it."

An overwhelming urge to bawl is creeping up on you, and an even stonger feeling of pure adoration fills you, before you can stop your tears. "Thank you," 

"It's nothing."

Maybe you should take nightwatch more often.