Not just a duty.

Donghyuck presses your cheek lightly with the ice pack in his hand, a small disappointed from painting his face at all the purple and blue bruises that paint your own

Donghyuck presses your cheek lightly with the ice pack in his hand, a small disappointed from painting his face at all the purple and blue bruises that paint your own. You know he's upset at you, he always is when you do things like this.

"You shouldn't have done that."

You sigh at the first complaint he mutters bitterly, glancing down to stare at your swinging bare feet, you had thrown your shoes somewhere after you left the dinner party.

That goddamned boring dinner party. Why couldn't your father stop being all business and mafia and just listen to you for once?

"...I know."

It was your fault the fight had started, after all. You knew there were so many men going out for your family, and yet you managed to come across one, and even worse, you fought him instead of fleeing.

Fortunately, Donghyuck had taught you some basic self defense skills, and even some combat, so you could take the man. But when he called for reinforcements, that's where you got in trouble. You weren't even in your right gear, just running off in your fancy attire.

And even more fortunate, Donghyuck came just in time to save you. The menacing look in his eyes as he took each of the men scared you every time, no matter how many times you've seen it.

Sometimes, when you find the look in your eyes you think he doesn't want to protect you, and that he's just doing it so your father doesn't kill him off when he fails and gets you killed.

But, that's not too likely, you've bonded the past few months. Though, they do say to keep your enemies close.

The whole walk back to your house, and even to your bathroom, no words were shared, not even eye contact. You only glanced at him from time to time, and the only time you locked eyes was when you finally let him clean you up after a small banter.

"Miss Y/n-"

"Don't call me that."

Your once vulnerable and guilty tone was gone, hurt laced in it as you spat out your words.

You hated it when he called you that.

It's like all the nights of bonding, all the secret sleepovers, comfortable conversations and even nights of comforting each other were nonexistent. You hated it so much.

"Does it hurt anywhere else, miss Y/n?" Donghyuck says in a much firmer tone, staring into your eyes with a certain hardness in them, harsh. You sigh with a (not so) subtle glare at him, shaking your head.

He nods, saying no more words, and simply tending to your few cuts on your chin. Moments of silence in the spacious bathroom, occasional cheers and sounds of chatting and glass clinking together resonating from outside the door.

No thoughts were shared, not even looks, but there's a certain atmosphere that says everything.

I want to fight my enemies.

That is my job. Not yours.

"Why did you do it?"

For the first time in minutes, words cut through the thick atmosphere and echo in the bathroom, and your eyes even lock. This time, he has a much softer look, tenderly and genuinely curious of why you did what you did.

Your eyes fail to keep up with his, growing shy and falling to the small constellation of beauty marks on his cheeks. His sunkissed skin is beautiful, it always breaks you when you see them red and blue because of you. "I want to fight for myself."

"You know you can't-"

"But I want to! They're my own fights, Haech-"

"Don't call me that!"

"Don't call me 'miss Y/n'!"

Your eyes finally lock with his, and instead of cowering from his intense gaze, you stare back with burning eyes as well. You can see the way he grinds his teeth together and try not to lash out on you, but really, you really really want him to.

"They're my fights, Hyuck."

Donghyuck's heartstrings shake, very affected from the nick name you call him. HIs gaze very obviously shakes from your words, and the sight of tears starting to glaze over your eyes he loves oh so much. "You don't have to protect me all the time,"

"I love you, Y/n! It's not just my duty to protect you, I want- I need to keep you safe from them,"

Donghyuck's eyes shut tight as the sentimental words leave his mouth after staying on his mind for so long. He brings his hand down from your cheek, knowing that if he felt your bruised skin against his any more, he would break down.

Your palm is suddenly cupping his cheek, startling him a little bit, before he melts into your touch. You lean down to press your forehead softly against his, your whisper close to his nose and cheek.

"I love you too, but I can't stand seeing you constantly getting hurt because of me."

Tears falling on your cheeks, your fingers gently wiping off Donghyuck's own from his face, your heart aches. It aches as you know that you will have to leave Donghyuck to protect you, but it aches more knowing he wants to protect you, and he's not doing it just to satisfy your father. It reassures you that you're not just a duty.

🌻: im in love with the bodyguard/knight/protector!AU i could write so much with it i swear