CHAPTER 4 ↠ meeting michael gray

The next morning, Polly had to get to the hospital early and so Bea went to her father, who was in the woods with a small group of men

The next morning, Polly had to get to the hospital early and so Bea went to her father, who was in the woods with a small group of men. Soon, Polly joined them with Bonnie, who went in the car to take her and her son to Aberama's location.

Bea stopped by Aberama's side as the car arrived. Polly was the first that came out and then Bonnie. The last was a young man with a cane. Polly's son, who Bea knew had been in the hospital, hence the cane.

"No," he said as he got out of his car. "No fucking way."

"You've never eaten hedgehog, Michael?" Aberama jokes and everyone, including Polly, laughs.

"I'm getting back in this car," Michael says to Polly as he pulls out a cigarette.

Bea was now slightly behind Bonnie, who had gotten closer to her.

"Michael, you're number two on Luca Changretta's list."

"Yeah, and I'll stay in a hotel."

"You stay in a hotel, I'll know where you are," Polly starts. "So will the people that take you there. So will the people who work in the hotel. And hotels don't move around." Polly turns to the other men they where meeting. "They don't even know where they'll be tomorrow."

"Anyone should come to you, Michael," Aberama says, "the Palmers and the Boswells will put up a fair fight."

"He's so classy," Bea whispers to her brother, as she stares at Michael, ignoring the discussion.

Bea then steps forward, ignoring everybody else, with her hand extended and a big smile on her face, much like she did when she first met Polly.

"Hi, I'm Beatrice Gold," she introduces as Michael shakes her hand. "You remember that name. I'll come and find you wherever you go."

Michael smiles at her as she somehow just ignored the tension and smiled as if everything was alright. Bea only let go of Michael's hand when Bonnie went and grabbed, taking her back and away from Michael.

"What? I was just saying 'hi'," Bea excuses innocently.

Bonnie raises his eyebrows and eyes her with warning, aware that she was very much trying to flirt with Michael Gray.

"Take your medicine," Polly says going to the bag on the hood of the car.

"I'll take them," Bonnie offers, grabbing the bottles.

"Pain killers."

"There're healers up there," Aberama informs. "They'll heal you much quicker."