CHAPTER 15 ↠ a dinner party

Bea got ready with Polly at her house

Bea got ready with Polly at her house. She put on the nicest dress she had taken from her aunt's house — a maroon dress, with long sleeves and up to the shins and a bit of white lace on the end of the sleeves and a sweetheart neckline, which certainly was enough for the occasion since it was a dinner and not a wedding or a regal party with important people.

They got there just a few seconds before Aberama and Bonnie.

Bea was still very angry at Aberama, but not at Bonnie. Even if she had reasons to be mad at Bonnie, she could never be, and it was the same for him.

When she got out of the car, Bea turned back to see Bonnie getting out of another.

"You look... really handsome, Bonnie," she compliments surprised when she sees his in a suit that she never thought he'd wear.

"Same to you," he says light-hearted as he approaches her.

"You should see me in the other dresses I left at aunt Margaret's house."

"Bea," Aberama says as he gets closer to them.

She rolls her eyes and takes a steps back but can's escape before Aberama grabs her arm lightly.

"No arguing. Bad image it'd give of us," Bonnie warns before moving past Bea.

She turns back to see him get to Polly and talking to her, then offering for Polly to go inside the house before him as they chat.

"You are much like me," Aberama starts, pulling Bea's attention, who turns to him with furrowed brows, in confusion.

"You are... headstrong and brave, but reckless. And you're much more. Much more than that and much more than I am. You have talent and a shot at a life better than the one I have."

Bea exhales and looks away, but Aberama holds her by the face, so that she looks at him in the eyes and sees the honesty in his.

"I only want what's best for you."

"And that wasn't aunt Margaret. I was going to be married off."

"I know, I know. And I'm glad you didn't do as she told you. But I can't say the same about you being here in Birmingham without the same changes as in London."

Bea wanted to argue, to say that she knew he would rather live only with Bonnie with many other reasons than 'for her own sake', but she decided to let it go, since it wasn't the time and place for another fight and Aberama seemed to be really trying to maintain peace.