CHAPTER 39 ↠ the lake

Bea found a lake not far from camp, so next morning she went for a swim, since the summer was only coming to an end, and it was peaceful around there.

She had taken her sketch book in hopes to capture the essence of the woods surrounding the lake and then replicate it in a painting. After sketching a bit, she took off her clothes and the pearl necklace, put them near a tree with her sketch book and slowly entered the lake.

The water was cold, so she slowly stepped forward, going deeper and deeper. When she lost her footing, she raised her legs up and started swimming. After a bit, and getting used to the cold water, she submerged her head in. After that she no longer thought of the water as cold, and she did it again and again.

Bea liked to be under the water. There was no sound, only her movements on the water. It was even more peaceful than the empty woods. She tried to hold her breath as long as possible. Not counting how long, Bea stayed with her head under until she desperately had to take a breath, so then she kicked her feet off the bottom of the lake and broke through the surface.

"...this is the perfect place," Bea hears when she gets that first deep breath of air in.

She instantly panicked. Bonnie and Aberama were away. She thought the woods were completely empty there. God knows what sort of people were around there and what they'd think of doing to a naked girl.

"Since when do you even fish?" a second voice wonders.

"Since now," the first person says, getting closer to the lake.

"Do you know how to fish?" the second voice wonders again.

"I do!" the person argues before finally appearing behind the trees and bushes. "And look, Isaiah, this lake does have something good to fish," Finn says with a smirk as he spots Bea's head in the middle of the lake. "Told you it was a good place."

Bea relaxed almost completely. If it were Finn and Isaiah, she'd be fine. However, she stayed away, since she was naked and wouldn't want Isaiah to see that by getting closer to the edge of the lake, where there was less water and it was more transparent.

"Come Finn. Let's go somewhere else!" Isaiah says, knowing it wasn't right to be there when Bea was like that.

Finn didn't move. He stayed where he was, feet firm on the ground, as if challenging Bea. As if saying, I'm not moving until after you move.

"I came here to fish," Finn then affirms with a small smile. "That is what I'll do. I will... take something from the lake."

"Finn, don't be a fool. It's Bea... She's Aberama Gold's daughter," Isaiah argues.

"I'm well aware of who she is," Finn affirms relaxed.

"So you want Aberama to kill you or something?"

"Bea, here, is our friend. She wouldn't let it happen."

"Oh, I would," Bea speaks for the first time. "And I'd help Aberama skin you alive."

Finn just found it amusing and remained with his eyes on her, longing for what she was hiding under the water.

"Come on, Finn. Let's leave her alone," Isaiah says as he starts walking away, but then, when Finn remains unmoving, Isaiah stops and looks back at Finn, waiting for him to finally follow him away from the lake.

"You're really not leaving, Finn?" Bea asks.

"Well, Bumble, I was really looking forward to fishing."

"Fish elsewhere."

"I like this lake. Even more so now, that I see such a wonder in it."

"Finn..." Bea warns. "Do you really want to take this fish out of the lake, for everyone to see it?" she swims a bit forward, hinting that she might just swim out and let Isaiah see her naked.

When she gets closer and can finally put her feet on the ground she rises slightly from the water, letting her shoulders and collar bone be out and seen.

"See you around," Finn finally surrenders, still with a cocky grin on his face.

"I'm sorry about this," Isaiah apologizes as Finn reaches him and they both walk away. 

Waiting a bit to make sure they were distant from the lake, Bea finally got out and dried herself on a towel before putting on her dress again. That was when she realized that Finn, sly and stealthy as a fox, had really taken something from the lake, or more specifically, from the edge of it.