CHAPTER 48 ↠ hard work pays off two extra shillings

Christmas Eve night was spent at camp, with Aberama, Bonnie and a few of Aberama's men

When it was past midnight, Bea and Bonnie were still dancing around, just the two, enjoying their time together.

"Tomorrow I'll train you," Bonnie says.

"Good. I want to be able to fight well," she agrees as she spins.

Christmas Eve night was spent at camp, with Aberama, Bonnie and a few of Aberama's men.

When it was past midnight, Bea and Bonnie were still dancing around, just the two, enjoying their time together.

"Tomorrow I'll train you," Bonnie says.

"Good. I want to be able to fight well," she agrees as she spins.

"And what about Finn?" Bonnie questions as he grabs her free hand and dances close to her.

"What about him?"

"He hasn't given you any trouble?"

"No, no trouble," Bea replies with a smile.

"And do you still... like him better?"

Bea rolls her eyes. "What is it now?"

"You were fairly controlled on your birthday yesterday. In fact, it was Isaiah who was holding you when you returned after you left with Mr. Shelby."

"Isaiah was just glad that I'll be painting a portrait of him soon."

"Finn has been good to you, right?"

"He has, Bonnie. You don't have to worry," Bea assures. "He drove me to Tommy's house when I needed to go there, he goes to see me when I'm leaving work, drives me to Polly's house when I don't get to go with Polly... Even at night, he makes sure I'm not alone when walking the streets after leaving work late."

"He's taking care of you, then."

"But I don't want him to take care of me. I want to take care of myself. I don't want to be afraid of what might happen to me if I happen to walk alone at night. So, you are and will continue to teach me how to fight, so I can do so in any situation I may not be able to avoid."

"Still leaves me more assured knowing that Mr. Shelby has your back. So, you still like him?"

"I do still like him. He's very... kind and charming. And he says pretty words."