CHAPTER 20 ↠ going for drinks

"How was I?" Bea asks Polly as the Betting Shop closed

"Better than I expected," Polly compliments.

"I taught her everything," Finn mocks as he passes by them.

"Sure you did. You're a man now, aren't you Finn?" Polly replies mocking as well and looks at Bea again. "I'll certainly have a word with Tommy. You're good with the numbers, maybe too good to just work on the bets."

Bea tries to contain her smile, knowing that she could even not be allowed to work at the Betting Shop because of many reasons, but Polly's praises did sound promising to her.

"Finn told me Tommy is running for MP."

"He is. He's been busy with the campaign, but I'll talk to him about you tomorrow. I've spoken before and he said he wanted to be informed when you returned."

"That's great," she says excitedly. "Maybe he already has a job for me in mind."

"Maybe," Polly agrees. "Finn! Put Bea's bags in my car."

"Sure, Aunt Pol," Finn says when he shows up with two of her Bea's bags. "I was wondering..." he starts as he walked back in the shop with empty hands. "Could I go and stay with you tonight?"

"No," Polly answers quickly and unyielding.

"But I—"

"No, Finn," Polly interrupts him with a hard look. "You're not staying with us tonight. Don't think I don't see what you want, boy."

"I don't want anything..."

"Sure you don't. There's no discussion, you're not coming home with us tonight. Get the rest of her bags."

Finn stared defeated at Polly, then glanced at Bea before going back to his office to get her other bags.

Leaving Finn in Small Heath, Polly and Bea go to the former's house. Polly welcomed her home with a smile, and after letting her bags by the entrance of the house she lead her to a 'surprise'.

They head to the room when Bea used to paint, but now the room was different: it was filled only with material that Bea would require, some flowers on vases to brighten up the room, and some of the small paintings she had done already handing on the walls.

Bea's jaw dropped in amazement and surprised and gratefulness.

"Polly... this is... so much more than I could have ever asked of you."