CHAPTER 66 ↠ a place of power

Next morning, Bea wakes up surrounded by Finn's arms and with the sun shining through the window

Next morning, Bea wakes up surrounded by Finn's arms and with the sun shining through the window. Even though it was sunny already, she had only slept very few hours and Finn looked like he wasn't ready to wake up.

Bea tries to slip from him without waking him up, and she does. She gets dressed and then leaves the room.

As she got downstairs, she was in time to see Linda leave and then drive off.

"Good riddance," she says before continuing to go on her way.

She goes to Tommy office, knocks and when there's no response, she goes in.

Minutes later, Tommy walks in, seeing the door ajar from the hall, and finds Bea, sitting back in his seat, smoking, and looking over his papers.

"What are you doing?" he asks calmly, trying not to show his relief from seeing that it was only her.

"Looking over the papers I've missed."

"Since when do you smoke?"

"Since Bonnie died," she says matter-of-factly. "Well... as soon as I was able to breathe all right after that."

Tommy nods.

"You're in my seat," he points out.

"I wanted to see what's like to be the one in power."

"Do you feel in power by sitting there?"

Bea stares at him in silence and then straightens up. "Take a seat," she says pointing at one of the two chairs across the table from her — chairs she'd usually be the one sitting in.

Tommy, for some reason, agrees and sits relaxed, looking at her.

"Tell me, Mr. Shelby," Bea says before inhaling smoke from her cigarette. She pauses and then exhales the smoke, "When will Jimmy McCavern have what he deserves?"

Tommy clears his throat, as he notices Bea is serious and what seemed like a playful game, was very much the opposite.

"Bea, we are at peace with McCavern."

"Yes, I've heard," she says as she inhales her cigarette. "You have friends in common, you said? You have similar interests... are searching for mutual benefit." Bea exhales the smoke. "You've met with him and are meeting with him again soon."

Bea moves some papers in front of her and takes out a letter she had read whilst alone in the office and puts in front of Tommy.

"I need to keep him alive," Tommy simply says. "We've peace with the Billy Boys. And when that peace is done, then Aberama will have Jimmy and do what him whatever he wants."

Bea lets out a sound of disapproval as she shakes her head and smokes once more.

"You have your peace, for now. But for that, when it's done, you'll give Billy to me, not Aberama."

"Bea, Aberama will have his revenge..."

"Fuck Aberama!" she says with spite, leaning forward. "I was the one that stayed with Bonnie when he was dead, I was the one at the funeral. Aberama was the one who brought him to all of this. Fuck him. I have the revenge Bonnie and I both deserve."

Tommy licks his lips and sits back.

"And what will you do with Jimmy? Kill him? Have you ever killed anyone, or an animal even?"

Bea smokes again and leans back, relaxing.

"Trust me, for Bonnie, I could kill everyone."

"And are you telling that to your father?"

"He doesn't tell me anything, so why should I tell him this? In the end, he'll get what he wants— the killer of his son, dead."

"He wants to do it himself."

"And so do I. So, who will you allow to kill first?"

"I'm not sure you should kill people, Beatrice."

"But I will. It's only a matter of who and when."

"What of your soul?"

"My soul?" Bea chuckles and inhales her cigarette. "You should worry about your own. Besides, for what I will do, God will forgive me. And if he doesn't... then you and I will feast together in hell one day."

Bea's cigarette ends and she puts it on the ashtray, immediately taking another and starting to smoke it.

"Now, Mr. Shelby, whilst I was away... besides making peace with the enemy, you've withdrawn the founding of Grace Shelby Foundation from St. Hilda's Orphanage. Why?"

"They were abusing the children, especially the one's with a darker tone of colour."

"What of the children?"

"They're in our own institutions now."

"Good. Very good. I hope your future meeting with Jimmy goes well." Bea stands up. "Now, we'll meet again later, to talk about my future functions within the company. I'm going to church and confess my sins to God. Past, present, and future."

"How did you know that I had met with McCavern?" Tommy asks as he remains sited.

"Much like you, I know a lot of things. I was in London, not dead. News travel fast, Tommy."

"It seems so," he says as he takes out one of his own cigarettes. "How do you like being in power?" Tommy questions her before she leaves.

Bea pondered for a minute. "Could be worse."

"It is worse. When everyone hates every decision you have to make... it gets much worse."

"Still, it must be nice to make all those decisions by yourself."

"Bea!" Tommy calls out when she reaches the door. "Make good choices."

Bea nods with a smirk and leaves.