CHAPTER 53 ↠ darkness

Bea got to camp late; the sun light almost gone

Bea got to camp late; the sun light almost gone. She put the horse to rest and went to join Bonnie and Aberama around the fire.

They ate dinner calmly.

"What of the Wall Street crash?" Aberama wonders.

"I don't know... They'll deal with it. There's nothing much that I can do."

"Because you're just a secretary," Aberama points out.

"At least I have an actual job," Bea retorts. "A legitimate one."

Aberama smirks. "I wonder where that will take you. I was expecting more of you than just being a Shelby's secretary."

"I am waiting for my promotion."

"A promotion at a time like this?" Bonnie speaks up. "How much did the company lose in America?"

Bea rolls her eyes.

"I'm just saying, leaving the business is an option and you can look for a legitimate business elsewhere."

"See? Bonnie is the smart one out of you two," Aberama states.

"Doubt he could do half the things I do..." Bea whispers.

They drop that business there and after a while Aberama goes to sleep.

"What's on your mind?" Bonnie asks when they're alone.

Bea wonders if she should say anything. But she had told Bonnie everything that had happened in New York, and he already knew Bea and Finn were together, so why not be completely honest with him.

"I guess Finn sort of proposed."

"Sort of?" Bonnie asks with a chuckle. "If it's just 'sort of' a proposal, say 'no'."

"Well, first he said he told Tommy there was someone he wanted to marry. When he said it to me, I mentioned Michael and that he at least had asked me before speaking with someone else about it."

"Oh yes, bring Mr. Gray to a conversation with Finn and tell him Mr. Gray had a better proposal... I can totally see why Finn is with you."

Bea ignores Bonnie's mocking.

"Then Finn said, 'Fine. Marry me. How about that?'."

Bonnie raised his brows in surprised and smiled. "He asked you like that?"

"Later he said he'd ask me properly when I returned."