CHAPTER 52 ↠ a reprimand

That afternoon the Shelbys had the board meeting and then a private family meeting, both of which Bea was not allowed to attend

Tommy left for the House of Commons in London without Bea being able to ask him if she could still take a few days off. Either way, she wanted to leave only after speaking to Finn, who had remained at Ada's house in London another day.

Only on the next day did she hear that Finn was back in Small Heath. She looked for him but could not find him. The Garrison was closed when she went to check there, he wasn't in the Betting Shop nor at any office. The only place she could remember to look for was at his apartment in Artillery Square, so she went.

Bea knocked on his door nonstop, but no one would come out. Instead, a man came out from next door.

"Hey! Do you mind stopping with that noise?!" he asks annoyed.

"Am I knocking at your door?" Bea asks just with much anger on her voice. "No? Then go back inside!"

The man, taken aback and seeing that she was banging like that on the door of a Peaky Blinder, did as she told him to. Bea knocked two more times at the door but it was useless and so she gave up. She slowly walked back to the betting shop, that was still empty and settled in Finn's office.

She looks at papers on his desk, wondering what someone couldn't read had in the papers on his desk. Bea finally looks up when the back door opened, and someone came in. Standing up she walked out of the office to see who it was.

"Bumble! You're here already!" he greets with a smile as he sees her and walks to her.

Bea sighed relieved. She wanted to yell at him, but before she could, Finn connected his lips to hers.

"I went looking for you at Tommy's office," Finn says as he steps back. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. I have been here already, went to your apartment, to The Garrison..."

"Tommy and Arthur went there to get me. You probably just missed us by a very short time."

Bea was surprised Finn looked so lively and careless, as if nothing had gone wrong just a couple of days prior.

"You look... enthusiastic," she comments.

Finn just shrugs.

"Too good for someone who just got shot," she then spits.

Finn closes his eyes for a moment and loses his smile. He wasn't expecting her to know, and he didn't want her to be concerned or angry at it.