CHAPTER 24 ↠ telling the bad news

Aberama reacted just as bad as Bea had imagined, while Bonnie stayed quiet

Aberama reacted just as bad as Bea had imagined, while Bonnie stayed quiet. He shouted that she wouldn't go anywhere if not London to stay with her aunt. He warned her against the dangers for working for Thomas Shelby.

"That is really hypocritical of you to say," Bea fights back calmly. "After all you're hired by Tommy. And doing way worse and more dangerous things than I'd do in New York. I'd be dealing with the legal business."

"Not here, and most definitely not in New York, will you ever work for the Shelby's."

"Too bad. Tommy and I have agreed on it and he has bought me a ticked to New York in two days."

"You will not work for Thomas Shelby."

"You've said it already, all right?" Bea raises her voice in frustration. "You kill people for the Shelby family, sporting stuff, and I can't analyze a few numbers, doing the legal things that would pay me good money?"

Bonnie then interferes, standing up for and siding with Bea.

"New York is safe for her, she won't be in danger and she'll be learning how to do proper work. Weren't you telling not that while ago that she was still immature, irresponsible, reckless? This would be good for her in the long term. And you saw how long Bea stayed with Aunt Margaret... she won't last that long in New York either."

"Thank you for the lack of trust in me, Bonnie."

"What I'm saying is... Mr. Shelby has given her a big opportunity. Maybe one day we'll all be living in New York, when I win enough boxing fights here and move higher up. Maybe New York is in all of our futures."

The little speech by Bonnie worked, because Aberama calmed down and didn't say anything for a few minutes, which was better than shouting. Then he told Bea that the moment something went wrong or she didn't enjoy in New York, she should come back to Birmingham straight away.

That night she spent it at camp, with them, drinking and dancing with Bonnie.

On the next day Finn didn't have to work so Bea convinced him to go out into the forest and rest near a small lake she had found. They took horses, since Bea insisted it'd be easier and more entertaining. She took a few pieces of paper and drew Finn without him noticing.

"We should come here more often," Finn says with a smile as he looks at the lake. "Quite peaceful, it is."

Bea dropped the papers and moved nearer to Finn, sitting next to him. Finn then laid down and Bea leaned on her elbow next to him, to look at him from above.