CHAPTER 58 ↠ fracture

Bea was awake and by the ajar door of her room, listening to Polly speaking on the telephone

"She's doing fine... tired and a bit sick, but she's been through a lot." Pause. "No, she's resting, she's not coming to the phone." A smaller pause. "No, don't come here. Let her be at peace, resting." Pause. "Finn, how many times do I have to tell you? Do not come here now. She needs rest." Pause. "No, not tomorrow here." Another pause. "Nothing is wrong with her Finn, she's just grieving and healing. She will not see a doctor and I cannot make her, all right?" And without waiting for an answer, Polly hung up the phone.

Bea was grateful for Polly. Grateful that she wasn't making her go to the hospital despite the never-ending coughs and sweats. But Polly was fine and always with Bea, so whatever it was, wasn't contagious and if Bea believed she didn't need a doctor to be better, then so be it. In fact, she was eating more and more, so Polly was looking at it as a positive.

Also, for keeping Finn away, Bea was grateful. She couldn't see him. On one hand she missed him dearly, almost as she missed Bonnie. But on the other hand, she could not face him and be kind to him when inside she was still thinking of how Tommy and his business cost Bonnie's life and how, not long before, Finn was shot in the arm because he was trying to deal with the sporting stuff despite not having to. Finn was playing with his life and Bonnie had paid the ultimate price while staying away.

For the next few days, only leaving the room to go to the bathroom, Bea did not get better. She continued to have a small fever and sweating, and the dry cough as well. Only when given an ultimatum did Bea agree to have a doctor look at her.

The doctor came to see her and then spoke to Polly alone. He went away after giving Polly some medications for Bea.

"Has Aberama asked for me?" Bea wonders, lying in bed, as Polly walks in after seeing the doctor out.

"Of course. He wants to see you. But only when you are better."

"He should want to see me either way. Especially if I am sick. You never know when sickness turns into death."

"You are not dying, young lady!" Polly says annoyed by Bea's words.

"Still... he lost a child. He should come and see his other that suffer as well and is still sick."

"If you are making yourself remain sick to haunt Aberama..." Polly suggests.

"No way. If I wanted to haunt Aberama I'd be well enough to walk, find him and tell him he's the reason Bonnie is dead."

"Well, I will ask you that, when he does come and see you, you don't say that."

"He deserves to hear it once from me."