CHAPTER 67 ↠ confession to a priest and someone else

Bea went to Polly's house first, to get new clothes and then she went to the Church

Bea went to Polly's house first, to get new clothes and then she went to the Church. There weren't many people inside, so she went to the Nave and sat in a bench away from anyone else.

She lowers her head, closes her eyes and starts praying to the God she had long forgotten. Bea was there, in silence and with her eyes closed for a long time before standing up and walking into the confessional. After a few seconds the priest in the other side of the small cabinet slid the small door in between so that he could listen to her.

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen," Bea says in a low voice. "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It is two years since my last confession."

She stops. She didn't know why she had gone there in the first place. What could she say? Sure, she had sinned, but her heart had, so far, no ill intentions. Maybe it was because the last time she had gone to church and confess was when Bonnie made her go with him. He didn't confess, but he prayed to God next to her.

"Please begin," the priest says.

"I have turned away from God, in recent times."

"Why is that?"

"My brother, my good, kind brother, was killed in a brutal manner. And I've hated God for it."

"Do you hate Him still?"

"I'm not sure... I have been questioning my faith in Him ever since then. And before that, I didn't come to church that often anymore."

"You must remember the sacrifices our Lord. He died for our sins."

"Then why did my brother die?"

"You said he was killed. God has no control over Men's actions. He can only judge what's in their hearts."

Bea only sighs and looks down at her hands resting on her lap.

"What else is there, child?"

"I will commit a grave sin, Father. One I cannot avoid."

"I'm sure all sins can be avoided. What do you plan on doing that is considered a sin?"

"Murder, Father."

The priest was taken aback.

"Who will you murder?"

"The men who killed my brother."

"My child, I beg you to reconsider this. You know it is wrong, you know God does not approve such things. You are confessing it to me before it even happens. Do not let it happen."