chapter 79 ↠ a letter from new york

She addressed both letters to Tommy's house, since Bonnie and Aberama Gold didn't have a permanent address to send letters to. Bea knew that they still worked for Tommy, so Tommy would give Bonnie the letter when he could.

Before going to send both letters, she started writing a third one.

Dear Alfie,

I hope this letter reaches you and you are able to read it.

Although it has been my intention to write you, I was unable to do so. Or to put it in a more truthful way, I didn't think much of it for these past months. You see, after returning to Birmingham, Thomas Shelby offered me a job to go to New York and help Michael Gray with the job that it was given to him. It was, as Tommy said, the first step up the ladder to reach a higher position within the company.

I accepted it, of course, and am now in New York. I have learnt a lot by being here and doing actual work instead of only studying the theory. However, I do believe you still have much to teach me and I hope, when I return from America, I get to learn from you once again.

As to when I shall return is a matter I do not yet know. As I write you this letter, I write another to Tommy, asking when I may be able to travel back and leave Michael here alone.

I promise to write to you when I arrive to Birmingham again, and I shall see any dates where I will be able to stay in Margate for a little while.

New York has been another world. Apart from work, this is a city where a lot of things happen. A lot of parties, a lot of people. I think if Bonnie does come to New York to box I will come along.

The future is a mystery. To all of us. I shall see where it takes me and you shall see if I become what you have such faith in. I will write you again soon.

Yours sincerely,

The Golden Girl