CHAPTER 5 ↠ painting finn shelby

Polly left for business an hour after letting Bea set up the painting material up

Polly left for business an hour after letting Bea set up the painting material up. Bea started getting ready to paint something. However, bringing only one bag with very few clothes when she ran away from London and not wanting to ruin the clothes Polly has started borrowing her, she didn't have the right clothes to wear while painting.

So, Bea went around the house and got in Michael's room. He wasn't there and even if he was, he had several more clothes than Bea, so he'd miss less a piece or two.

She found trousers and a simple white shirt. She put both on, and found a belt to keep the trousers nicely tight on her waist. Then she was ready to paint.

She had her brushes and the palletes ready, but now she was just looking at the blank canvas. She was staring and staring but there was something missing. It wasn't like in her painting room at Aunt Margaret's house, where ideas just came to her mind.

Bea's blank thoughts were cut off by the front door opening and closing.

"Polly? Have you forgot something?"

There was no answer and Bea stared at the open door of the living room, waiting to see whoever had walked into the house. Sure enough, a few seconds later a tall, freckled boy appeared.

"Not Polly, just me," Finn smiles.

"Hi." Bea smiles as well.

"Are you painting?" he asks seeing her.

"Trying... I haven't really got an idea in mind."

"Are you... wearing trousers?"

Bea looks down. "Oh, well... I don't have many clothes and I don't want to ruin any of them with paint, so I went to Michael's room and got these. He won't miss it."

"You have no idea what to paint?" Finn asks again.

"Yeah... I told Polly last night that I was thinking of a forest with a lake, but... I don't feel like painting that anymore."

"Do you do portraits?"

"I do. I actually told Polly I could paint her, but she doesn't want it."

"Paint me instead," Finn says quickly.

"What?"

"I don't have a portrait of me, and you have everything you need to paint but nothing to paint, so paint a portrait of me."