chapter 80 ↠ a short getaway

After the first business trip to London, Tommy and Polly went away and left Bea in there for an extra three days, like she had asked

After the first business trip to London, Tommy and Polly went away and left Bea in there for an extra three days, like she had asked. But instead of visiting her sisters like she had told Tommy, she went to Margate once again.

It was a short trip, but it was enough.

Enough to see Alfie doing better. Enough to see his condition was improving day by day, and that, despite being blind in one eye, he'd soon be back to normality. And being 'dead' was only an advantage.

"You have a privileged house here," Bea says as they walk on the beach, her arm locked in his.

"Yeah, it is nice," Alfie says in a detached tone, as if it was just a regular house. "I did work a lot to get where I am."

"You are dead... technically. Where you are is meant to be six feet under."

"I'm just tellin' ya, if you want to, at some point in your life, just leave all business and bad blood behind, you have to make it count beforehand."

"Just business. I don't plan on having bad blood."

"Oh, but you will. There's no stopping it. With the power you'll have, you'll have to do things to keep it, to protect it and yourself."

"And why do you want me to have all that power? Are you going to have bad blood with me, too?"

"You will be my legacy," Alfie responds to both questions. "I will die knowing that I created what you will become."

"I will become whatever I become because that is who I am already. You will not create me."

"Hmm," Alfie doesn't say what he wants to because he knows that he is right, and Bea is wrong.

Whatever he taught her, whatever he is still teaching her, is shaping Bea into the way Alfie wants her to be. It takes a lot to be the legacy of Alfie Solomons, so Bea, even if not realizing, was chosen with that in mind and with Alfie's belief that she could become exactly what he wants.

Alfie tries to find tricks to help Bea focus more on what he wants her to focus, or to see where her mind works fastest. He notices that when she's closed inside, in an office, Bea is quicker with the work, more strategic about everything. Whereas if they go outside, to the beach, she is more creative, innovative, and light-hearted.

She also gets more distracted when she's outside. She observes people that are near-by, tries to study them. Alfie sees that Bea likes to keep her surroundings in mind and pays attention to little details. While observing the people, Bea tries to figure them out, to read them, to predict their next move. That was great for what Alfie wanted to prepare her. Knowing people, knowing how they are, how they think, what the are capable of doing would help her crossing them and winning.

After short two days of Alfie evaluating how his work was coming through in Bea, she left Margate back to Birmingham.