What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part LXXXX...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part LXXXX...

"Actually get to see me at work again..." Jen in suit grins to camera in her car. "Now that we've got the guys settled for the moment at Fieldersen, it's time to earn my partnership. Though, without being overly boastful, I think I did rather well for Zeller this last month..." arch smile.

"No, I shouldn't be needed till tonight. Though of course they'll call if any problems...Just a mo..." she presses buzzing phone on dashboard holder, pressing ear bud a bit to hear better. "Yeah, Jen Steinecke here? Hi, Janice. I'm nearly there. I'll meet you outside. Ok. Great. Oh, I did bring that camera crew. They're documenting how we do business...? Yeah." she eyes the camera crew with coy smile... "We can use their footage for the video tour...Are you still good? Yeah..." eyeing the camera...That's still ok? She mouths. Thanks, nod.

"Thanks, we appreciate it, Jan. Be there in five, see ya." She presses button.

"Thanks, guys. I think she would have been ok with you but a lil' sweetener helps, you know?" warm smile. "And if you're getting something out of it..." shrugs, grinning. "See? Not entirely lost my edge to thrall, huh?" turns into driveway, parking.

"Here we are..." indicating a fairly nice, though hardly fancy, home up the driveway. "Nice little property...I think we can get 450-500K on it. So, now you see our bread and butter stuff." Careful look with smile... "But I hope you see I give the same attention and service to the smaller accounts as I do the big boys. Jan's a very nice lady, divorced with two boys...She's anxious to leave Staten for a new job in Virginia so this is important to her." Pause...

"Still kinda weird about last night...Again with the Brit accent? I don't get that unless some other Hunter's ghost is taking me?" wry smile...Roll of eyes...

"Listen to me...A ghost taking me? A month ago my biggest worry was Davy might find out I'd gotten too chummy with Troy Messner or some other client to push a deal and now here I am worrying about ghostly possession interfering with my duties as an enthralled vampire's minion." Wry shrug...Sigh. "Though I would never want Davy hurt...I meant to speak to you guys about that. Is there any way we could dispense with any comments about me and that aspect of the job during all this?" she puts up a hand. "I get you're committed to the Truth and an honest story and all that, but this would be such a little thing to keep that out. I know I should speak to Dave about it sometime and I will, but..." reddening. "I don't really know how it started...I just wanted to do well in my job and it went from flirting to...You know. Not often, but..." trailing.

Earnest look...."And please, don't blame Ginny. Yes, she has pushed for us to do what it takes but it was my choice...A bad one, I know that." Sheepish look.

"That's nice of you to say..." smile at comment. "And yeah, I should be able to get on without that sort of thing. But...This is a pretty intense business and well, I wanted to get ahead. Easy way, I know..." downcast look. "I don't mean to say I've slept around all over, with every client, you know." Shrug. "Just a few times...And that's too often...I took the easy way to move things on. See...The thing is...It's not just that I really do like most people...Guys...And I like to make them happy...More confident and all, like I tole you before. But..." shrug. "Davy is so brilliant and is doing such important work. I really haven't said enough about it to you guys, I'm so proud of him." Fond look. "And here I am...Not a bimbo...I know I have a brain...And my job is important to our future. To Suzette's... Davy makes a nice salary and all but when you consider the future...College for Sue...Our retirement. And I do intend us to last, whatever flirty stuff I pull..." firm look. "It's just seemed like it's the one thing I can do for us. And I wanted to do it well. I may look like I come from money, I know, but I don't. We were the cultivated, but poor, type. And I mean where's the next meal coming from, when I was a kid. And I saw pretty quick the fastest way to get that next meal was to use all my gifts." Shrug.

"Not that I ever..." eyeing the group sternly. "Just what I've tole you, I cut a few corners...Probably too many...Too often, in recent years...And I got into the habit of doing things the easy way. And I don't wanna make excuses, just try to explain... But that's over, now...I won't let it ruin us." She pauses, brushing hair back, smile... "Not just cause now we finally have a pretty hefty chunk of cash coming it but..." rubbing hands on the wheel a second...

"Look I know it's weird but ever since I met Master Laszlo...I've felt at peace. That I've reached a safe point. Not that I want to abandon Davy, no...I don't." hand up, anxiously.

"Just...In meeting the Master and serving him, somehow I feel like...I've come home. Reached the place I should be...And I don't have to keep trying to prove that I'm worth something..."

Wan smile... "Really? Well, yeah." Grin. "Believe me, I have a healthy ego. I know I'm beautiful and reasonably appealing and I'm intelligent and all that. But...Like I was saying just now. I feel sometimes like I don't come up to the guy I love. I worried, I used to, in my heart, that Davy would one day figure out how little there was to me...And wish he'd done better. And maybe all that...Flirting...And worse...Was just to be able to say, I'm worth something..." Pause...

"I've never told anyone that...And I wouldn't mind if you folks wouldn't ever tell anyone?"

Nod, smile... "Thank you. And you should know that's in the past. I don't feel that way anymore and I don't need to have anyone else decide my worth...Except the guy who always thought I was worth something. The guys, I guess." Smile. "Though I know Master Laszlo was just looking for a new familiar...He chose me for a reason. Besides all this..." grin, indicating herself.

"And, however I may feel later...If his hold on me ever breaks..." wan look. "I know there was something important to me here. It changed my life in some ways for the better, even if I may say otherwise later, I dunno..." shrug.

She stares as the director speaks, a bit tentatively...

"Thank you. I'm grateful." She nods. "I will speak to David in my own time, when I think I can explain things. But if he ever does see your film...And he's just nerdy enough to see it..." grin. "I think it would break his heart to see things...Well. Out of context? Is that the best way to put it? I couldn't bear to have him think I was just using him or that I didn't love him more than my life. I did...I do, still...Even if there is Master Laszlo..." staring away...Downcast, a moment, then a smile...

"And I stand by what I said...I think it helped me, that Laszlo chose me. In a very weird way, I think...And I get I may be speaking in some kinda thrall-induced haze...Being taken by him saved me from ruining my life." Wry shrug... "Though I get I may feel differently, if ever..."

A horn blaring...All look back to see a car pulling in.

"Thanks again, guys." She nods, opening door. "What?" pausing at a sudden question...

"I can't really say. Only you guys can say if you've done a terrible thing yourselves...But right now, thanks for listening." She got out.

"Hey, Jan!" she waved. The camera crew staring after her...

...