What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XXIV...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XXIV...

Laszlo, in new, reasonably modern, if extremely conservative, medium brown suit and hat, holding umbrella, peering out a tiny garage door window covered by cloth which he's very gingerly pushed aside, keeping to one side...Turning to face camera while signaling all clear to the nervous Nadja and Nandor well back. Jen, in her standard suit and Guillermo in new suit purchased by her for the occasion already outside keeping large umbrellas raised and ready. Jen also keeping an emergency tarp handy, folded but out of bag.

"Raining and very cloudy, just perfect. You may be wondering why we'd ever choose to do this at eleven am, even on such a day but we felt it necessary to be completely above suspicion. And who could suspect wealthy business people making important business deals of being vampires when they're out and about at 11am, eh?" beam. "Besides, Ginny's office is already equipped with the same opaque windows as in our new place, a suggestion by Simon "Devious", her previous client when the son of a whore's devious bitch was doing business with her, playing human. Reduces glare and makes people feel more comfortable, he told her." Rolling eyes. "Still his contractor made her a good price, she said." Shrug.

"And of course if you're going to mildly drain an office full of people, best to do it in the morning before lunch. They can eat something and make a reasonable recovery by the time they leave work. Safer for the drive home, you know? Jen?! Guillermo?! All set?!" he calls through the door.

"Ready, Mr. Cravensworth!" Guillermo, carefully slipping into the proper mode of assistant to wealthy and powerful English and Romanian businessmen.

"All set, sir!" Jen agrees.

"People...Things to do, fellow business people to meet." Laszlo turns back to face the others who hurry forward...

....

"Mr. Cravensworth...My secretary, Martha Wallis." Ginny, just outside her office, presents Martha, a late fortyish brown-blonde woman in grey suit who rises to shake his hand and is a bit startled to have hers kissed.

"Pardon...I'm a man of the old school." He smiles. "Very nice to meet you, Miss Wallis."

Come on, come on...Nadja frowns, sighing. The windows out here in the main office are blinded but who knows if the cloud cover will last, you idiot? Her nervousness apparent, Jen moves to her from a spot beside Laszlo. Nandor, erect and holding a polite smile resolutely beside Nadja, Guillermo, finger twisting in tight collar beside him. The various staffers eye the group from their cubicles. Colin watching from his temp cubicle with Gwen, awaiting a summons later.

"Ma'am?" Jen hisses to her. "The outer windows are all opaque. Ginny had it done a couple of days ago. I thought I told you all last night."

Nadja, remembering, nods. "Yes, you did...Sorry, child. I am not used to...These hours."

"Lets go into my office...Martha? Bring some tea, water, and coffee in about ten minutes, along with the Fieldersen folders I asked you to keep on your desk?" Ginny leads the Cravensworths, Jen...Nandor following after, Guillermo turning to follow.

"Sure, Gin...Nice to meet you, sir...Ma'am. Mr. Relentless." Martha nods.

"My dear..." Nandor bows, following the others. "I know, that name is a bit odd. Changed from the foreign, you know." sly smile which she grins at.

"Hey." Guillermo nervously smiles, trailing after.

Door closes...

"So that's the Cravensworths..." Phyllis, wry look, standing in her cubicle's entrance. "They have money, no question."