What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part VI...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part VI...

Laszlo, alone in hallway..."It's really a matter of timing you see...If I put that matter to lady wife at the right time, especially if she's been unfair to me and is in the middle of making it up, as often happens with a woman of gypsy temperament, I can see it through with some hope of success. If however I catch her at time when she's feeling quite justified in her jealousy and especially with other matters annoying her, then Jennifer is quite literally, dead...And my life is Hell, possibly for decades. This must be handled carefully. Now, the girl did have a suggestion when I mentioned before her enthrallment there might be conflicts about selling the house with my wife and our 'cousin Nandor'...Clever woman, really...She suggested she try to make a friend of each of them before we try to push too far on the selling of the house. That might possibly work with the familiar thing as well...I did have some luck before when Nadja liked a nice woman who worked for us in the 1890s, in fact...I believe she liked her so much, she turned her. Yes, that's right. She's living in Hoboken now, has her own little community. Yes, I even think she and Nadja keep in touch somewhat. What was her name...?"

....

Cut to Nadja in her cell, next evening... "Why would Laszlo mention Ruth? She's long vampire. She lives in Hoboken now. I see her occasionally..."

Cut to shot of Nadja and Ruth, a small, slender brunette of striking Italian features, dressed in 1930s fashions, in passionate embrace...

"He said she was one familiar we could agree on? Well, yes...Ruth was very nice girl, very willing and respectful...And she never tried to seduce Laszlo. She rather scorned his efforts...Well, she was a lesbian which helped. There were no problems there."

Cut to shot of Laszlo and Ruth, in the attic, Ruth in 1890s style clothes as it was 1893, locked in passionate coupling... Laszlo pausing to look at Ruth... "You really mean she believed you when you told her you were a lesbian?" "Well, I had to be convincing, Laszlo." Ruth notes. "Convincing? Convincing how?" "What does it matter...?" she grabs for him. "Now, wait a bit..." he tries...

.....

Return to present day Laszlo, now frowning at the memory... "Ah. Yes. Ruth..." he glares. "That was it, the phony lesbian tale only she was bisexual and carrying on with Nadja as well. Still...Water under the bridge, what's good for the goose and all that, eh? And the lesbian thing might be a good fallback plan for Jennifer..." considers. "Yes...Well, in any case, leave it for tomorrow. Time to go topiary, my garden needs tending. Then perhaps a late night snack..."

...

Home of Jennifer Steinecke and David Chu, on Staten Island, an elegant but not ostentatious home in the Huguenot residential area on south side of the island... About nine o'clock...

Jen at car door... "Thanks for following me home, tell my master I got home just fine. Oh...A little wobbly still..." she chuckled, then blinked. "What was I saying? Oh, yes...Tell Mr. Cravensworth I'll see about the web listing and get back to him tomorrow but will come to the place on Friday at six. Thanks." she turned to greet her husband now emerging with a child in his arms of about two or so...

"Hey, sweetie..." she embraced both in one hug. "Hey, ma petit chere...Ma Suzette..."

"Honey?" David Chu, an Asian-featured man in his thirties, medium-height and build. "Who are these people?"

"Oh, they work for that new client of mine...Hello, Suzie..." she took the little child and swung her about, the girl cooing and giggling. "Mr. Cravensworth...They're filming events in his life or something and he insisted they see I get home while filming me a bit. It's ok. I was a little pooped and he was concerned. How are you, honey?" she kisses him.

"Fine..." David stares at camera. "Isn't this a bit of invasion of privacy?"

"They're not coming in the house, just Laszlo...Mr. Cravensworth wanted to see I didn't get killed or attacked by a vampire on my way home."

"What?" David stared. "Honey? Are you ok? Lets go in...Let me take Suzette."

"Yeah, lets...I'm really kinda hungry and pooped. Come on, baby..." she hugged Suzette and handed her over. "I don't know why I said that..." she told David. "I'm just a little woozy. But you can tell I haven't been drinking." she notes. "Good night!" she waves back to camera.

"Don't be mad, I was just working late..." we hear her telling David as they walk back into the house...

....

"Say, thanks so much to some of you for seeing Jennifer got home ok." Laszlo in crypt, preparing for his day's rest. "Sounds like she obeyed and forgot all about the little incident as instructed. Excellent. Say, how old was her daughter? Two or thereabouts? How nice. They're so lovely and nibbley at that age. Well, deal with all that tomorrow or the next day. Good morning."

.....

"I hate it when Mr. Robinson drains me..." Guillermo sighs wearily. "It leaves me empty for a whole day and Master Nandor thinks I'm shirking till Mr. Robinson admits what he did. He really didn't have to drain me anyway, I'd've told him all about the other night without that."

.....

"It's what I do..." Colin notes to us. "Though I'm so pleased he and Laszlo had a fairly uneventful in Laszlo's case and downright humiliating one in Guillermo's that I'll leave a note for Nandor to let Guillermo rest a bit cause I drained him. Wouldn't want our sole familiar to die just now anyway. Though I do think Laszlo is considering the young lady who was touring the house this evening, some sort of real estate agent. Anyway she left still alive so either she's a familiar candidate or he's proceeding with the sale or both." ponders...

"I'll have to take action here. I think I'll mention this to Nadja..." smile...

...

Bedroom, David and Jennifer's place...An hour after Jen's return home...

"Jen? Maybe you should try to get some sleep?"

"Sure, baby, sure..." Jen in underwear, having hastily stripped clothes after wolfing leftovers for a quick dinner. "After...Don't worry, I'll do everything, just lie back and let me serve you, Master." she cooed climbing up on him in the bed.

"Jen?! Honey?! What are you...?"

"Master! Master! Master!!" she moans, forcing herself on him. "Oh, Master! David, I mean!" the bed shaking...

"Jen, please! This is very nice but...You'll...Wake...Suz...OHHH God!"

"Master, master...David...I love you! I love you, Master!" howl.

Faint cry from the next room, the nursery...

"Oh, shoot. I'll get her." Jen, climbing off a stunned David.

"Sorry, baby..." we hear her voice cooing...