What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XV...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XV...

"Blood and tonic, sir?" Laszlo manning the bar grandly, in guise of an English publican, to Nandor who graciously bows, accepting proffered drink with gracious flourish.

"And for the lady, sir? Miss? Fair Miss?" to a mock-frowning, then smiling Nadja...

"Very funny, you are a child, Laszlo. But the same..." she nods.

"Now come...Both of you...You love the place..." he eyes each as he hands her her drink in turn, the blood from his favored vintage flask.

Though usually the "favored vintage" was the most recent draining... Blood not keeping all that well in a metal flask, generally at room temperature.

"It's a fine place." Nandor nods. "I would be a bit apprehensive about an upstairs bedroom even with the opaque windows device...Still, with wood shutters to protect the bed itself. From the occasional power failure."

"I find the idea exhilarating...An upper bedroom again...After all these years..." Laszlo beams. "And Jen did say the house has a backup power system...Solar panels plus its own generator run on biomass." Laszlo beams.

"Is that all life mass? People included?" Nandor asks.

"I believe it's plants mostly...But you could probably use people. We can ask about that...Let me make a note." Laszlo pulls out pocket recorder Jen had given him to record any deficiencies or questions on the spot. "Can we run the generator on rotting human corpses? You know that would be a most ecological recycling of the victims. Biomass to ashes, ashes to dust."

"But where do we put the coffins, Laszlo?" Nadja points out.

"Jen had a fine idea about that earlier...We replace that huge bed with a specially made one, with the coffins in the bed itself, covered by a very thin bit of mattress that unzips to expose the lids..." eager tone. "The native soil in the box with us under a proper cover and we are set. We'd actually be sleeping in a real bed again sort of. Remember I had something like that fitted out for me in my first sixty years, when I had trouble sleeping in a crypt?"

"That was stupid, the windows kept getting opened by the maid. You nearly burned to death."

"But now we have advanced technology..." Laszlo notes happily. "They've finally done something to benefit vampires as well as humans. Jen? Can you locate a good bedmaker...I mean I believe a carpenter, to carry out the idea you suggested as to our bed?" he speaks to recorder.

"With a few wood shutters to protect the bed just in case, I would do it." Nandor nods. "It is time I slept on a higher plane, was able to survey my dominion each day."

"New ways to burn to Death, wonderful." Nadja sneers.

"Ah, but the glass is the UV proof and equipped to filter glare, Jen says, it may not allow sunlight to burn us." Laszlo notes. "In fact, I had heard that some of our people are already living the good life in the light of day, inside, with similar protections. Science marches on..."

I have heard that also..." Nandor, eagerly.

"From whom?" Nadja snorts. "Colonel von Saunders, the fried vampire? This is Edgar Hardee, all over again. Well you and Nandor can be the first to march burning...How do you know the glass UV will stop the sunlight from killing you. Remember Edgar?"

Cut to Laszlo seated on incredibly comfy, very plush white sofa in the estate's living room...

"Laszlo, you just sat down..." Nadja frowns. "And you should get up, this is not our home yet. You may dirty the furniture and make us look like inconsiderate pig types."