What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XLIV...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XLIV...

The Cravensworth crypt within the old residence...Approaching eleven...

"Laszlo? Lassszzlo...?" plaintive call.

"Yes, me lady wife? What's about?" From the opposing coffin...

"I'm afraid..."

"Oh, my dearest...Nothing to fear...Truly."

"Van Helsing's minion...The Cicely perhaps...Laszlo...?"

"Darling we're quite safe. Plenty of daytime support. All will be well..."

"So said that guy Pompey in that television show of 'Rome' just before the fat Egyptian kid had his head cut off..." sigh. "Will you sleep with me tonight?"

"Gladly, dear...Just...I'm a bit stout-fitting for two in one coffin."

"We can leave the lid open...Though you ought to lose some weight."

"I have tried, dear. Curse of immortality..." he emerges from his coffin in 19th century nightshirt and opens the lid of her standing, at angle, coffin...She now out of modern business suit and in 19th century nightgown, with cap, eyeing him with sad eyes...

"There, there...Nandor may not be the brightest light bulb but he is our best fighter." Laszlo notes, trying to ease into the coffin's space. "And Ginny is getting intel on this fellow who visited...Perhaps not the Cicely at all, just some feeble, if over-confident vampire hunting ordinary human."

"Van Helsing was an ordinary human and he nailed Dracula...And many others." Looking away, shaking head.

"Sweetheart..." pat.

"Laszlo...?" Turning back... "You didn't summon him? Your soul, I mean. You don't hate me?" she asks, sadly.

"Not even my soul hates you, Nadja. And I didn't summon Van Helsing."

"Thank you." Embraces him. "Dammit, close the lid, it's cold. And you could've worn socks, Jen darned enough pairs for you. Your feet are ice!"

He pulls lid as closed as possible.

"You did lock the crypt door? Laszlo? Did you lock the crypt door?"

"I'll go and check, just a mo..."

"Our existence in danger and you didn't lock the crypt door?!"

"I'm going to check now..." he emerges, rolling eyes at the camera.

"Close the lid! I want a little privacy!"

"Yes, dear...Certainly." Closing lid.

"Is it locked or no?"

"I'm just going over...One mo..." he calls.

"Oh, you don't remember? Something like that, that our lives could depend on?! You forgot, didn't you?! Laszlo?!" call from within coffin

"Darling, please..." he reaches door of vault...Locked.

"It was locked. It's fine, dear." Calls.

"Uh-huh. I'd like to see the film tomorrow. I bet you didn't lock it. Laszlo, where is your head these days?! Moron!"

He acts out dumb show of being staked and receiving peace at last...Thank you know who...He mouths...

"Laszlo?! What's taking you so long? Stop partying with the human boys and come back to me..." mournful tone.