What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XIII...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XIII...

The North Shore of Staten Island, Fielderson Estate near Goethals Pond...

"So the bird sanctuary is that way..." Jen, leading group including Nandor, Laszlo, Nadja, Colin, Guillermo, and at Nandor's invitation, the Baron's familiar...

May as well impress with the new place right away...He'd noted to the others.

"Careful, Gui...Can you manage all right?" Jen calls to Guillermo, struggling with leg cast over the stony ground of the estate driveway.

"Yes, let me help you Guillermo. This is somewhat difficult terrain for you." Nandor, with sudden solicitude which startles Guillermo.

"Fellas, I and Ms. Zeller called before, the Cravensworth party to tour the estate." Jen spoke to the guard at booth on driveway. "I've got the house keys...And here's my id."

"Thanks so much..." Laszlo, graciously to the nodding guard as they passed his booth.

"So..." Colin had gone up to the booth, greeting the guard. "Security guard on a big place like this. Must be exciting, standing and walking, walking over all these acres...You know I did a little research on the estate, did you know that in 1868...?"

....

"Oh, look at that..." Laszlo, gasping a bit as Jen turns on the floodlights around the large pool.

"Magnificent..." Nandor nods, "Are those Roman?" he eyed the sculptures about the pool.

"Not all are originals but they're Greek and Roman...Those three are originals." Jen pointed.

"Oh, my...This is a true palace..." Nadja, openly awed.

"Lot of work..." Guillermo stared about. "Lot of work..."

"I'll be around to help and we'll get a good maintenance and landscaping crew in once everyone's resting place is set and settled." Jen notes. "Don't worry it won't be on you alone, Gui." She pats his shoulder.

"Now this feels like a real castle...Minus the battlements and moats and all that..." Laszlo beams, looking round. "Jen?...Excellent work..." he praised. She beaming shyly.

"Thank you, Master Laszlo."

"So that road is the only way in?" Laszlo points back to the road they'd walked down.

"Yes and besides the bird sanctuary behind the house, there's a cliff on the water to your left. Very difficult for trespassers." Jen points. "Shall we go in?"

"Oh, yes..." Nandor, enthusing.

"Indeed." Laszlo nods. "This so reminds me of my second cousin's place in Derbyshire. Remember I told you about his sculpture and pool, darling?"

"Yes...And never took me." Nadja frowns.

"I really was not anxious to have my few remaining family connections eaten by us." Laszlo shrugs. "I thought you understood."

"His last descendant died in 1911. Why haven't we gone to see it since?"

"Well...We've been busy here in America." Laszlo tries, a bit lamely.

"Doing what? Conquering it?" she glares.

"Well, maybe we could go this summer. Or escort the Baron when he returns to..."

"What do you know of the Baron my Master's plans?!" hiss from the Baron's familiar who'd quietly followed, listening throughout without a word.

"Uh...Nothing..." Laszlo began...

"Careful, Master!" Jen had rushed to cover him and Nadja, both staring at her... "Mistress!...Keep back, you!" she took defensive stance.

"Oh, it's fine, Jen..." Laszlo, hastily. As the Baron's familiar likewise took up a defensive stance, hissing at Jen who glares, with arms raised in self-defensive posture.

"Ladies, please...All's well." Nandor intervenes. "Madame, we meant no threat to your Master. Laszlo merely wished to express his devotion to the Baron's care and well-being by offering to accompany him back to Europe whenever that sad day should be. We've no idea of his plans, I swear to you."

Gimlet-eyed stare...Frown at Jen still in her defensive posture...

"The girl is simply enthralled and very devoted to Laszlo and Mrs. Cravensworth..." Nandor continued. "Jen, please...All is well, you may be at ease."

"Yes, Jen...It's fine." Laszlo notes. "Nice defense though...Where did you learn that?"

"Self-defense classes with some tai-kwon-do..." she relaxes a bit. "Sorry, but you mustn't threaten my master and mistress." She addressed the narrow look of the familiar.

Laszlo eyeing Nadja...Hmmn? Hmmn? Defends us both?

"Enough, Laszlo, she is good girl if whore. Jennifer, come by me. Keep away from her, you old crone." Nadja frowns at the familiar who glares. Jennifer moving to a spot by Nadja, Nadja putting protective arm about her shoulder...Even as Jen continues to monitor the Baron's familiar who eyes her carefully.

"Now, now...All is well." Nandor, conciliatory tone. "We and the Baron are blessed to have such devoted familiars..." slight eyeing of Guillermo to side who sighs.

"Four broken bones, contusions..." under his breath... "Sorry, Master. I would have jumped on her if she threatened you." He speaks up.

"Ha, ha, ha, hah!" the Baron's familiar heartily laughed, stunning the rest. "You?" She resumed silent pose.

"Hey, Guillermo would never shirk his duty to his Master." Jen frowns. "He's been a faithful familiar for ten...Right, Gui?,..Years."

"Ten, yes..." he beams.

"Bah!...I have served the Baron for forty years." The familiar sneers proudly. "I have defended him, killed for him, cleaned his castle and his apartment, including of unmentionables, hid him from the Nazis who wanted to experiment on him..."

"Really?" Laszlo, curious. "I had heard something about that..."

"I'm sure you're a devoted slave..."Nadja sighs. "But that's neither here nor there now. We are no threat to the Baron, nor is Mrs. Steinecke here."

"Very...Well..." sniff. "But I shall be watching all that goes on. And I will report all to His Excellency."

"Of course..." Nandor bows. "Naturally..." Laszlo agrees.

Sound of faint splashing in the pool... "Oh, this is nice!" Colin's voice from where he is floating, fully-clothed in pool, face down, arms extended.

...