What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XIX...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XIX...

Ginny in car, en route to meeting with owner family of the Fieldersen estate...

"I'm hoping all will go well, I think the credit info and financial report I sent over on the Cravenworths and Master Nandor will satisfy that they can back up a reasonable offer. Mistress Nadja did ask me not to haggle too much but I've explained to her we ought to do my usual so as not to let these folks think I'm rushing to close the deal and get them all antsy and reviewing everything and looking into the Cravenworths' background. Though Mr. Robinson did insist everything would hold up." Pause...

"Of course I know the Mistress and her friends can do a lot to move things along once we're in the door but a lot hinges on my selling this just right." nervous look. "See they were pretty sure and I was pretty sure the only solid buyer would be the historical preservation folks here, it's just too large a place for most individual buyers unless we got a really loaded guy interested in a Staten location and I mean, if you're that loaded...You go for Manhattan or the Hamptons." shrug. "Only natural...Still, I think they'd prefer a private buyer, less red tape. Though no doubt, as I warned the Mistress and Master Laszlo, the historic pres folks will want to get involved. But as the guys love the place as is, it shouldn't be too bad. Besides...Confidentially? I mean that." hard stare.

"I've worked with the historic preservation folks before, on a couple of places...And one of them, this guy Rick? Really into me." smile. "Very nice guy, though, really. A college professor... We've dated, it's not just sex and business. But gives me a leg up, you know?" nod. "So I think I can carry out the Mistress' commands...I mean, of course I will...Or die trying." firm stare.

"I understand you know Simon Devious and he's a vampire lord or something? I handled one of his properties in Manhattan, I had no idea. I even had a couple of meetings with him, during the day. Though indoors of course, at his club, the one that burned down?"

....

Laszlo, in manor living room...

"We're all excited to learn how the initial negotiations with those selling us our new home are proceeding. Given Nadja told Ginny not to haggle too much over price and such, it's really a matter of ensuring Colin's documentation of our finances, with what help Jen and Ginny can provide, will convince them we can in fact meet their price." Careful nod.

"Naturally we'll then proceed to seeing that the offer is truly one they cannot refuse." Slight attempt at Don Corleone accent at end. "But we need to get that first foot in the door... Still, I've no doubt our minions will succeed, Jennifer and Ginny are very fine businesswomen, and have proven devoted servants. Ginny has promised to seduce at least one if they seem resistant or cold on the deal and bring him, or her, to us. But probably won't be necessary till later." Confident nod.

"Things were a bit hairy around here the other day what with the Vampiric Council summoning us in on the death of Baron...Barren...The barren Baron..." smile. "Afanas...But, we managed to cover for Mrs. Afanas and while that went a bit unexpectedly dangerous, given we had good information the Council was not all that broken up about the Baron's death, all went well, in the end and the good lady is off to discover America, with her husband's ashes. Very sweet lady, she was reluctant to testify against us as the Baron's familiar but as Nandor pointed out to her, we owed her husband a debt and they would've killed us all, including her, in any case. Great acting on all parts there, Nadja was especially good with the gypsy curse thing on the dear lady after she testified. And what a twist to learn it was Gizmo who actually did the deed. Would never have thought it possible for him. Have to watch him from now on, of course." stern look.

"Lucky thing about vampires, especially ambitious ones who want uncomfortable facts and incidents and people swept away into the sunlight, they lose interest in pursing 'Justice' rather quickly. Just have to be careful Nandor doesn't start feeling he should throw his hat...Turban...Whatever he likes, but not my witch skin hat...Into the ring for head of the European Union Council, to honor the Baron. Not only do we not need a long sojourn in Europe just right now but it would stir up the hornets' nest all over again."

Cut to Nandor, later in living room...

"Dear God, I've no personal interest in politics again. Last time I had personal interest in politics, I tried to join a cabal against the Sultan Ibrahim the Mad. He fed me to his vampiral harem...Which was not the worst torture imaginable but pretty bad after they finished using me for sex. Of course then the chief vampiress of the harem did give me the choice of becoming either a vampire or a eunuch. Clearly I did not become a eunuch." Smile.

Cut to Laszlo, later in living room, waving hand, making eye rolls...Eh...

....

"It's been a pretty scary couple of days..." Guillermo notes, pausing as he cleans up Nandor's crypt, whistling, clearly a happy minion. "First, I thought Master Nandor might kill me, as in dead, for good, no immortality...Then that the council would kill us all, though then it all turned wonderful." Beam... "Master Nandor saved my life and nearly died doing it. Then I got to help save him and the Cravensworths, thanks to Mr. Robinson, of course." nod.

"Mention it. I saved everyone." Colin, standing by doorway, notes.

....

Jen, outside, at Zeller Properties, parking lot...

"Well, it's true some of the girls aren't my biggest fans. I'm aware of it and I know it's cause Ginny has been so supportive and nice to me, really taken me under her wing, even hinted at my becoming a partner and even once or twice when we were out to dinner, at my even becoming her successor. But she was a bit tipsy then." Wan smile, shrug. "I get it, I'd probably resent it myself. Still, I really have never expected and do not expect special treatment. Though I don't deny..." winsome sigh... "Maybe I have taken some of Ginny's lessons to heart a bit too much, gone a bit farther than some of the guys."

Cut to Phyllis in office...

"Ok, fine...If Ginny has put it in writing that I can speak freely and you guys swear in writing that this is off-camera and my name will be withheld, sure, I'll give you my two cents on them. Jennifer Steinecke is a very bright, incredibly energetic, sweet, lovely woman with a nice kid and a nice, kinda clueless or just choosing to be blind cause he seems too smart not to realize what his wife also is, namely a high-class slut who'd anything for a deal, hubbie. But to be fair..." hand raised. "Ginny presses that sort of thing pretty hard...It's the ladies version of Glen-Garry/Glen Ross here and a lot of the girls if pretty enough find themselves pushed that way. And to be more fair, some of them are quite willing to go as far as they need to...Some aren't and generally Ginny is careful about pushing too hard unless it's a really tight deal and really worth the dough." Quizzical look. "Just how is this useful for your boss' documentary on himself or whatever this is? Ok, you're thorough, nice... Do you want to know if I've ever 'gone the distance'?" wry smile.

"Yeah. By my choice, with one or two guys who I actually liked, when I was single again after my divorce. But not every creep with a house to sell worth a few bucks..." sigh. "Look, I know this business and I know there's a reason why even in a good office, where they follow all the rules, the middle-aged, chubby ladies with varicose veins get the family homes for sale and the hot young things get the hot properties. And to be square about it, Ginny's not as bad as some guys I've worked for, including her ex- who truly was a pig and got her in some hot water when she was younger and more naïve. But Jen is Miss Pageant Queen every year and she has never hesitated to gut any one in her way, including yes, yours truly, if they were in her way. It's business, we take it as it comes, in stride, and try to get along, but we don't have to love the hand that sticks the dagger in, ok? That's all I'll say and there had better be no repercussions on this as I did record you guys and photod your release form. Great, we're good." Nod.