What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XI...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XI...

Seven forty-five pm...

"Well...How do I feel?" Jen, in car, pulling seat belt in place... "Maybe a little down, I have to admit. I was sad to be ordered never to have sex or be alone with Master Laszlo. I mean, 'Never'? That's such a long time, especially if the command holds should I get vamped by him or Mistress Nadja or Master Nandor. Or that Baron, Guillermo was telling me I should be careful around." sigh.

"I mean...It's not that I need to have sex with the master to serve him. And I will, I'll really give it 110 percent with the work round the house and all...But he is sooo cute with that British accent and all. And I think the thrall thing does make him even more appealing..." smile, sigh.

"Still, he has been around a long time and, I think, has been with a lot of women. I'd hate to ever give David anything. I'm always very careful that way. I always use a condom... But maybe with vampires...It's different and condoms don't work? Do you know? No?" looking at camera.

"Well, in any case I have my orders...No sex. But I can read to him, which will be so nice. And I will learn to darn socks. I can sew some already, my mother taught me, so it's shouldn't be too hard. And I will be serving him and Mrs. Cravensworth by working on this place and the new one. I really think they all liked the North Shore place and it is a nice property. I'll have to make sure Ginny comes tomorrow. I guess Master Nandor will thrall her? Unless?...Can Master Laszlo thrall more than one person at a time? Oh, well that would be nice if we both have the same master, I suppose..." she backs the car out and heads for the gate.

"I hope Suzette ate her dinner ok... She did have a little constipation this last week and we took her to the doctor's, Dr. Engelsby? And he said she was ok, just a little blocked, perfectly normal, and she did move her bowels on Tuesday, David said. It was nice of Master Nandor to ask about her. Is he fond of children? Hmmn...Well, they say a military guy can get to having a lot of remorse about things they had to do, like those Vietnam vets who go and help Vietnamese kids? David was in Iraq for eleven months, a captain in the Army Reserve eight years ago, while we were dating." she smiles, turning onto main road as she leaves the gate..

"He was so brave...Even though he's a bit on the small side, he was right there in the middle of things. He saved three men once from a burning tank. But he's the sort of brave guy who hates to talk about these things. So modest..." fond beam.

"You know I think Mistress Nadja must like me or she'd've killed me. Though I wish she wouldn't call me a whore in front of Master Laszlo and Guillermo. I suppose she's just not used to modern women and sexual liberation...But she seems very nice and if the Master loves her, I've got to love her too. And I do..." nod. "I'm good at getting people to like me without coming on too strong. You have to be able to do that in my business. But even if I have to exaggerate about a place to push it or leave out something, I always try to be sincere about liking my clients. People can tell when you fake it so if I don't like them, I go for very professional. I think I like Mistress Nadja, it should be fine." Pause.

"Of course I could run into the Master in town sometime. Mistress Nadja never told him to tell me we couldn't have sex away from home. Though he did command me not to have sex with him and I guess that covers every situation, maybe. Well, we'll see..."

...

Laszlo, in garden, trimming topiary... "Well, that was a bit hairy for a moment, after a good start. Fortunately Nadja has become a bit broader-minded and thankfully, less jealous or at least a little more trusting. It was nice that she believed me about the sex thing. I mean, yes, sex is always nice but I know that sort of thing with humans can cause trouble and my main goal here has always been practical...To have a good, young, healthy human to help out and perhaps bring a touch of sweetness and light, metaphorically speaking, to our existence. And to read to us in our crypt by day...I really love that."

Considering... "Bit mean of her to hit at Milly like that. I'm sure she never gave Nadja cause to think of her that way, she was very friendly and kind but never a prostitute...Seems a bit cruel to slander her memory, poor girl. And Jen's certainly not a prostitute. I think sometimes Nadja's even more conservative than ole Nandor. Who did seem to like Jen quite a bit...Perhaps too much." frown.

"I mean suggesting twice that we swap...Guillermo for her? Come now. I mean if you want a new familiar go out and get one, like I did. Or use the Internet webby thing..." stern nod.

"But there's not a chance in Hades I'd ever swap Guillermo for Jen...Unless of course the lady wife insisted absolutely. But I think I sense she rather likes Jen, in a way...Nadja can't help her jealousy, it's a part of who she is, her gypsy heritage and all that and really...I love her for it." Fond smile. "Good thing she likes children and it seems after all she's really ready for a change, homewise, which did surprise me. But wasn't Jen quick and sharp with that fine new place? She's very good at her job, I'd say. I honestly can't wait to see it. I hope she can persuade her employer to come over tomorrow night. Though she told us we could go over regardless with her, see the grounds and either she can steal the key or we can try to break in, though it has a good security system and guards patrolling which means we would probably would be best to avoid trouble and be patient."

"Wasn't Nandor a surprise?" pleased nod. "He seemed quite taken with the place, I never thought he'd be so amenable so quickly. But it is a wonderful place and I suppose he takes it as the proper due of the Sultan's general and all that... Though no way is he choosing the paint in the living room and parlor."

...

Guillermo, in his cell...Lying on cot, as his injuries are paining him a bit...

"I'm glad things went ok in the end. I thought for a moment, Mistress Nadja was really going to kill Jen or order Laszlo to release her. Not that they've ever released a thralled person except, I think, for that Mr. Peterson who is still a little crazy and in a mental institution. Though maybe he's still kinda under Master Nandor's spell, even there, since he is still a little crazy..." pondering.

"Jen thought the Renfield thing was funny. She explained it to me when I was following her to her car to make sure she got out ok but wasn't with Master Laszlo as I hadn't seen 'Dracula' or read the book, though I borrowed a copy from the library room and I'm reading it now. It's very interesting, I wonder if the 'Dracula' guy is real? He sounds a little like Nandor, though it could be he's based on the Baron, our house guest, maybe? Baron, Count, I mean."

"Jen was joking that she ought to start eating bugs. She's so funny." Smile...

....

Colin Robinson on his cot in his bedroom...

"It seems a bit unfair, that they had a meeting about the sale of the house and didn't include me. I am after all, a member of this community and it affects me. But I did listen in from outside the door and got most of it. The new place does sound nice, I should go over and see it before any of them can, during the day. I could lay claim to a drab basement room for my new place, though I don't want the whole basement, that would be too much space. I wonder if it has a pool? I like to float face down and have people coming to see if I'm dead. Which of course I am, in a way."

.....