What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XXII...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XXII...

Dark interior of minivan, under stretched tarpaulin...A battery lantern thoughtfully provided by Guillermo, along with a flask of vintage blood...

"Well..." Laszlo eyes camera... "Here we are, on our way to Ms. Zeller's office. Jen has kindly set up a video link so we can actually see outside, the rather lovely if harsh light of day...Here, on her phone..." He holds up the phone, view of outside whizzing by.

"Jesus, Guillermo, drive carefully!" Nadja peering at phone. "Jennifer?! You should drive! Guillermo drives too fast."

Cut to front of van with Jennifer and Guillermo, Guillermo at wheel, frowning...

"Ma'am, I'm going thirty in a forty mile speed zone." Guillermo calls.

"I'm not so used to using the back tube mirror as Guillermo, Mistress Nadja. I really think Gui's driving as well as I could, he's being very careful..." Jen calls back.

"Damn..." Nadja, feeling a very slight bump. "All we need now is have a deer or bear or boar run across the road and we crash, tear open, go 'poof'."

"Now, darling...You always get this way. We're well protected and Guillermo's a very careful driver." Laszlo notes. "And Jenny is watching him. We're quite safe. Right, Nandor?" bangs on Nandor's suit of armor laid flat beside him.

"Mmnn...Please stop that, Laszlo. I am getting a headache." Nandor's muffled reply.

"Maybe...That boy is slow-witted and probably using drugs to escape the burden of his labors. I saw documentary on television about humans addicted to drugs to escape burdens..." Nadja, fretting.

"I don't use drugs..." Guillermo, nervously to Jennifer. They able to hear all over Jen's phone and just by Nadja's voice in the cabin.

"I'm sure Mistress Nadja isn't accusing you, she's just nervous..." Jen pats him. "You're doing just fine." She beams.

"When did she become 'Jenny'?"

"What?" Laszlo eyes Nadja eyeing him carefully.

"You call her 'Jenny' now? Like... 'Milly'?" glare.

"Now, darling...It's just a pet name. Short for Jennifer..."

"Uh-huh. 'Jenny'?" Nadja, forcing calm. "You wish to sleep with my husband? I will not oppose. He will need a bedwarming companion."

"Uh...Well, Mistress Nadja...I..." Jen, nervously...Reddening...

"That's not fair, Nadja. Jen can't help herself." Laszlo, frowning. "I haven't slept with her and I don't intend to...Right, Jennifer?"

"Yes, Master!" emphatically... "We've never slept together..." slightest of sighs.

"All right...Fine. I am jealous bitch. Apologies, Jennifer. Forgive me." Nadja, somewhat peeved at first, then easing. "I know you are good girl, more or less. I am just nervous here."

"I understand, Mistress Nadja!" Jen calls, settling back in her seat with a slightly woebegone look.

"I'm sorry. Love is tough, I guess." Guillermo, briefly patting her arm with his free hand.

"Thank you, Gui." Jen, sadly.

Cut to Nadja in back under tarpaulin, lantern illuminating her face...

"All right, now I feel badly. Laszlo is right, Jennifer cannot help herself from loving him. And I was lucky to find a mate who still loved me after he turned, not just when helpless victim. But driving like this makes me so nervous, I was in train wreck a century ago. Nearly killed by daylight, screaming and suffering people all around me...For the first time in long time, I felt remorse for killing, though it's just what we do, like hunting to eat...But it was very traumatic."