What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XXVI...

Part XXVI...

Ginny's office-midafternoon...

"Awwwwh...Sorry, I'm not used to these hours." Laszlo notes, stretching a bit as he yawns.

"Anyway, alls gone reasonably well. The initial offer by us was accepted, for eight point seven millions, and now just a matter of having the place inspected and hoping all transactions hold up well. Also there's a bit of to do with the Staten Island Historical Preservation Society who want to have a representative meet with us to discuss the obligations we'd be taking on with the place, keeping it up properly and all that. Nadja finds it irritating to be told what she can do with house and grounds but as Ginny says they aren't much interested in the interior of the house as it's fairly modern construction, I say, why not keep up standards? I mean who better to respect History than Immortals, right? Nandor feels the same way, expect he wants to reserve the right to carry out military maneuver exercises on the grounds should he ever wish to gather an army, at least for practice, keep up his skills as a general, that sort of thing. Now that he has the land for it. Fine by me as long as it doesn't mess the grounds up too much. Jen suggested we could ask about Revolutionary War reenactments, the Society might actually be pleased to help us do some of those here. I didn't know about that one, I'd assumed Britain let these colonies go. Might be interesting to read up on it." Shrug.

"Interesting how my quest for one familiar has wound up giving us a brace of them...Nandor now has three, Susan, Martha, Guillermo. Though of course Susan and Martha were not volunteers, though they seem very devoted to him. I rather think they fancy him and even Nadja is behaving a bit annoyingly ever since he donned that new suit Jen got him. Mine suits me far better, I don't know why she's suddenly finding him so attractive..." frown.

"Nadja may complain about me but she seems rather pleased to have two familiars herself now, Ginny of course, our hostess today, who made this deal possible, and Phyllis, rather a botched job if you ask me. Nadja just lacks the instinctive touch with enthrallment, she ought to go with Nandor's way of measuring out a proper amount of blood to feed. Still, she did do a fine job with Miss Virginia, our Ginny. And my Jen does feel Phyllis' current emotional disturbances are playing a role. Seems the poor woman's had a rough time with men...A couple of divorces...Somewhat abusive boyfriends...Nadja's quite upset with the latest, bad luck for him if she catches up with him, all I'll say there. But the woman's just a bit too obsessive and clinging, not to mention she doesn't seem to care for me much...Overly jealous of her mistress, it seems. But at least she's not gone totally daft and started eating rats or bugs or something." Wry smile.

"Of course Nadja, for all her 'You must never threaten my husband' and all, is relishing it. But it won't be too comfortable for me if dear Phyl takes up any householding duties. I've seen minions like her before. I'll be worrying about 'accidents' ('Oh, sorry Master Laszlo's blackened ashes, I didn't realize I'd left the window open') all the time, and no doubt she'll be forever spying, trying to get some dirt on me. One minor flirtation and it'll go right back to the lady wife with dire consequences. Hardly fair, really. Does Jen ever spy for me on her? Never..." sigh. "Well, lets hope Phyllis remains strictly an office drudge slave. Frankly none of us wants too many humans cluttering up the place, no offense."

"And of course I now have dear Jen and Erika. Erika, a very nice girl, taken rather by accident while feeding. But she seems very content with her new lot and really, as I keep pointing out to the lady wife, as Jen had asked her to help with the sale of our place, we'd likely have had to take her at some point. She's quite suitable, a European of Bavarian extraction, here since college fifteen years and long divorced from her husband, a college romance that sadly did not go well long run. Since she recently broke with her latest boyfriend and had been living along anyway, a perfect choice." Nods.